CCG3PA only boots with noboot project, not main project

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiMc_1688136
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 50 questions asked 10 solutions authored

I have a CCG3PA workspace. For some reason, when I program my chip with the main project, which i assume is the bootloader + app, nothing happens. The application does not boot, which i have confirmed with placing LED or debug line toggles in main.

On the other hand, the second project in the workspace, the noboot project, works fine. I can program the chip and everything works. 

Granted, I do not need the bootloader feature but I want to fix any misconfigurations now while i have the chance.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding the hex file that is generated by the main project and it is not the bootloader combined with the application....

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Can I please know if you ae using the CCG3PA firmware available in the power sdk directly or made some changes. If yes, please do share the modifications carried out. 

"Perhaps I am misunderstanding the hex file that is generated by the main project and it is not the bootloader combined with the application...."
       Main firmware
: This is the main firmware project for the application. This application is
designed to work on top of the bootloader pre-programmed on the CCG3PA device.
       noboot: The main firmware project  does not support runtime debugging through the SWD interface. The noboot.cydsn is a version of the same firmware application, which does not depend on the bootloader. This firmware overwrites the complete device flash and expects that the device will be programmed through SWD. 

You can also refer these threads, 1 and 2 which is a similar issue.

Regards,
Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Abhilash_P

Hi,

Can I please know if you ae using the CCG3PA firmware available in the power sdk directly or made some changes. If yes, please do share the modifications carried out. 

"Perhaps I am misunderstanding the hex file that is generated by the main project and it is not the bootloader combined with the application...."
       Main firmware
: This is the main firmware project for the application. This application is
designed to work on top of the bootloader pre-programmed on the CCG3PA device.
       noboot: The main firmware project  does not support runtime debugging through the SWD interface. The noboot.cydsn is a version of the same firmware application, which does not depend on the bootloader. This firmware overwrites the complete device flash and expects that the device will be programmed through SWD. 

You can also refer these threads, 1 and 2 which is a similar issue.

Regards,
Abhilash P

0 Likes

This is a custom project based on the CCG3PA FW but the functionality of the stack is unmodified. 

This application is designed to work on top of the bootloader pre-programmed on the CCG3PA device.

This might be my problem. Is the bootloader a ROM bootloader or is it programmed into Flash, such as with one of the included binaries, such as CYPD3175-24LQXQ_cc_src_boot_3_1_2_1484_0_0_0_pa.hex? If that is the case, then that would explain why the application doesn't boot... there is no bootloader programmed!

0 Likes
Abhilash_P

Hi,

CCG3PA has a 64-KB flash memory that is designated to store a bootloader, the firmware binary along with the corresponding configuration table. The flash memory map for the device is shown below,

Abhilash_P_0-1667191685936.png

Regards,
Abhilash P

0 Likes