CCG3PA CC Bootloader?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoLo_4180566
Level 2
Level 2

I have a design based on the CCG3PA (CYPD3175). I would like to be able to update the firmware in the field and wanted to know if there is an easy solution using a Windows utility, USB-C cable and the CCG3PA. The eval kit uses the EZ Configuration utility which uses USB serial to a Serial/I2C converter to a CCG4 chip which then programs the CCG3 over the CC line.

I want to eliminate all that and go directly from the PC to a CC bootloader using a utility. Is this possible and how do I do it? Is there CC bootloader code publicly available on the CCG3? Does a Windows utility exist or would I have to write one to use the vendor specific VDMs. Is there any documentation or app notes?

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi John,

Please refer to the CC bootloader project for CCG3PA in the CCGx Power SDK path-

<install directory>)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb.cydsn\cc_sink_boot.cydsn

Please ensure that your application project is suitable to program into the kit when used with the modified bootloader project.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi John,

You cant directly use the CC bootloader on CCG3PA with a utility on the host since the port controller in your PC wont be supporting the required VDMs. Hence we have a CCG4 to program the CCG3PA over the CC interface on our evaluation kit.

You could use the CCG3 instead which has a USB bootloader present and can be used with a utility to update the firmware over USB.

You could also modify the CCG3PA bootloader to be act as an I2C bootloader similar to the CCG4 I2C bootloader. Then you can eliminate the CCG4 and directly update the firmware to CCG3PA using the USB-Serial I2C interface and the EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

Best Regards,

Sananya

0 Likes

Where are the sources to the bootloader project used on the CY4532 Eval Kit? I have dependencies in my bootloadable component for hex and elf versions of the bootloader but I'm not sure that I have the actual project used to generate these. I would like to create a bootloader project and build these to be used by the bootloadable component of my application.

0 Likes

Hi John,

Please refer to the CC bootloader project for CCG3PA in the CCGx Power SDK path-

<install directory>)\Cypress\EZ-PD CCGx Power SDK\CCGx\Firmware\projects\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb\CYPD3171-24LQXQ_pb.cydsn\cc_sink_boot.cydsn

Please ensure that your application project is suitable to program into the kit when used with the modified bootloader project.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes