CCG3 vs CCG3PA Family Selection Guidance

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NaWo_4517846
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

We're working on a small project in which we'd like to implement a UFP into our power system and was hoping to get some guidance before heading too far down the rabbit hole.

First, a few product requirements:

• Will only be used for UFP sink operation
  • Powered from VBus under dead-battery conditions
  • Legacy detection/negotiation, BC 1.2 as a minimum
  • i2c multi-master to interface with other aspects of our power system independent of external MCU support (setting current limits of charge controllers)
  • Minimize package size / external components
  • Ability to control a USB switch (D+/D-) in order to pass through data further downstream for use after negotiation is complete (internal would be even more awesome, but I'm not seeing any that have pass-through)

From these requirements and referencing this product table, it seems something in the CCG3 or CCG3PA family would be an ideal low-cost solution.

The CCG3 family seems to be the more common choice (based on current distributor availability), and I think any of the following part numbers should be able to meet our needs. We will be customizing the firmware, so the default FW is fairly inconsequential, I think.

image.png

While the CCG3PA family appears to target primarily at DFP applications, I do see the CYPD3171 has the termination resistors required to operate as a DRP/UFP, with the added benefit of a smaller package size over the CCG3 options (24QFN vs 40QFN).

image (1).png

Are there any aspects I might be missing or have incorrectly assumed here? Is there perhaps another family more closely suited that I should be considering? And would both the CY4532 EZ-PD CCG3PA Evaluation Kit or CY4531 EZ-PD CCG3 Evaluation Kit fit my needs as described for development?

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

You are correct, CCG3PA is best option and can achieve your requirements.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

You are correct, CCG3PA is best option and can achieve your requirements.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes