Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
gcons
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hello 

I am new to CCG3 device and all USB type C . 
I have created design which  provide DisplayPort output over DP connector and also want to add Usb type C connector.

My design flow as on attached picture.

As I understand HPD signal which is needed for DP switch and DP source ICs can be achieved using PD controller and based on C1/C2 pins HPD signal is send from  CCG3 PD controller to in my case DP video switch. 

I am looking for minimum HW design for CCG3 device which allow output of DP data over USB C.

As I mentioned USB type C is only used as an Display Port output to external monitor and nothing else .

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Pranava_YN
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

From your description, I understand that you are interested in DP to Type-C Conversion. 

Please check our CY4531 - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cy4531/

It has DFP implementation that you are expecting. The firmware for the same can be found in the CCGx Host SDK 3.4

Download link - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/tools/sdk/usb-controllers-sdk/ez-pd-host-software-dev...

Please let me know if this fulfills your requirement. 

Refer to DisplayPort Demo section in https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-CY4531_EZ_PD_CCG3_Evaluation_Kit_Guide-UserManual-v01_00-EN.p... for quick confirmation of the requirement.

Best regards,
Pranava

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
gcons
Level 1
Level 1

Quick update 

I have found attached reference design but it looks like it is opposite to what I am looking for. Basically CCG3 device read HPD line from DP port where in my case I need this HPD line to be provided from CCG3 to my DP video switch.

A bit confused about the  mode DRP,DFP and UFP. As I am only looking for Display port to be transmitted over USB type C to external monitor I think DRP is not necessary. Also as I understand UFP is on Monitor side and so DFP would be a mode I am looking for to implement  - Unless I did some misunderstanding.

Still reading data sheets but it would be great if anyone could help

From Attached ref design :

Q1: Can this CCG3 be programmed in the way that when USB C cable is plugged in it will detect and change status of HPD line which will be connected  to DP video switch IC  

Thanks  

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

From your description, I understand that you are interested in DP to Type-C Conversion. 

Please check our CY4531 - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cy4531/

It has DFP implementation that you are expecting. The firmware for the same can be found in the CCGx Host SDK 3.4

Download link - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/tools/sdk/usb-controllers-sdk/ez-pd-host-software-dev...

Please let me know if this fulfills your requirement. 

Refer to DisplayPort Demo section in https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-CY4531_EZ_PD_CCG3_Evaluation_Kit_Guide-UserManual-v01_00-EN.p... for quick confirmation of the requirement.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
gcons
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for above informationAbove could be suitable but as I mentioned I do not require to control power in such way.

i am providing Vbus_5v to the USB C connector from main board and so I do not need controll 5-20V .

I am looking for something more simple which allow me also control detect USB C cable and control HPD line for DP alt mode 
in my design :
-Only 5V provided to USB Vbus so ideally one single 5V 
- There will be no Bttery connected and so no charging option requiried 

- CC1 and CC2 line need to be monitored
-- HPD line need to be controlled

thanks 

0 Likes
gcons
Level 1
Level 1

Please also advise if CCG3 is compatible with TUSB1046?

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Hardware-wise, Type-C to DP dongle hardware is enough for your requirement. 

PranavaYN_0-1679657816834.png

But, the default firmware for TypeC to DP doesnt support DFP. So, I recommend using Notebook firmware from CCGx Host SDK and modify it to remove unnecessary things like VBUS control.

CCG3 is compatible with TUSB1046, As I can see from TUSB1046 datasheet, it is I2C based control. You might have to write I2C Driver code yourself. You can refer to datamux_ctrl.c file which implements control for PS8740 MUX.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
gcons
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for  response - TUSB1046 can also be set in GPIO mode - please can you let me know if above HW design as its state it is for UFP mode will work as DFP mode with Notebook Firmware ?

Please also confirm if on below design if I remove Charger path and leave DCDC only and with Firmware modification to remove VBUS_C_CTRL_1 control it still should work ? 
Also if DCDC only be 5V is it still right way to connect it as on below picture as I  Wish leave option for future testing with full range 5-20V

gcons_0-1679660912488.png

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Hi,

Type-C DP Dongle hardware will not work directly, it is designed to be VCONN powered accessory. 
For your application you need to build your own hardware with slight modifications.

1. Remove VCONN connections in the schematic. 

2. Connect both CC lines, CC1 and CC2 to CCG3

3. Implement provider FET part from Notebook schematic, connect the DCDC output to VBUS pin to power up the CCG3.

With these modifications and the ones you have mentioned in firmware Notebook firmware should work with the hardware.

Please also confirm if on below design if I remove Charger path and leave DCDC only and with Firmware modification to remove VBUS_C_CTRL_1 control it still should work ? 

>> Yes, it will work. There is a configuration utility where you can configure the port roles and voltages and currents supported.

Also if DCDC only be 5V is it still right way to connect it as on below picture as I  Wish leave option for future testing with full range 5-20V

>>  Yes, this is the right way. You can connect a DCDC system capable of 5-20V at the later stage. You can connect it to 5V for now.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes
gcons
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks you for above information,  really helpful.

I have looked through Datasheet and HW design guidelines and in both I can see that Vsys and Vbus are connected same time in some examples.

As per data sheet CCG3 device should work either from Vbus or Vsys(Vcon in UFP).

Please can you advice if Vsys and Vbus can be connected same time ?

If both supply are connected same time Vsys to 3V3 and one to Vbus(5-20V) which one take priority ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Pranava_YN

Vsys and Vbus can be connected at the same time.

Vsys takes priority over Vbus.

If Vsys is absent, then there is an internal LDO inside CCG3 that converts Vbus to Vddd.

Best regards,
Pranava
0 Likes