CCG3 Programming Advice

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DuBe_2886471
Level 1
Level 1

I have an engineer working on a USB-C PD Power Supply for me which uses the CCG3 Chip, but he no long does programming. I've been trying to get a handle on the EZ-PD Configuration software to see if it will do what I need it to, but I have a feeling it won't, therefore I have no clue where to begin.  Perfect case of being in over your head...thankfully I'm the client in this case.

The device is meant to act as a USB-C power supply and will accept an input range of 12v-24v and output 5v-20v @ up to 5amps giving me 100 watts supplied power.  The current design is setup so there is a push button to switch between the output voltages and display those on a small LCD screen.

So here are my questions:

1. Can the CCG3 auto negotiate the power on its own based on the supplied power, and can that be setup through the EZ-PD configuration tool?

2. Is the button necessary for switching between voltages?

3. Where would one find a programmer for this sort of project?

Thank you in advance for any guidance and support you can provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

It will be helpful if you share the part number and schematic of your project in this threads.

If your questions are based on CYPD3125, the answer is below:

1. Can the CCG3 auto negotiate the power on its own based on the supplied power, and can that be setup through the EZ-PD configuration tool?

>> Yes. The CCG3 can auto negotiation the power contract after the CCG3 is powered on.

>> You can initial PR_SWAP based on the condition and do not use button. For example, you can try to initial DR_SWAP if you are a power source to see if the Power sink have capabilities to working as a DFP.

>> If you are a C language player, you can get the SDK from Cypress websites directly. And almost firmware have completed by Cypress example firmware, you need add your requirements into application --- app.c file.

Download link: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-host-software-development-kit

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi ,

It will be helpful if you share the part number and schematic of your project in this threads.

If your questions are based on CYPD3125, the answer is below:

>> Yes. The CCG3 can auto negotiation the power contract after the CCG3 is powered on.

>> You can initial PR_SWAP based on the condition and do not use button. For example, you can try to initial DR_SWAP if you are a power source to see if the Power sink have capabilities to working as a DFP.

>> If you are a C language player, you can get the SDK from Cypress websites directly. And almost firmware have completed by Cypress example firmware, you need add your requirements into application --- app.c file.

Download link: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-pd-host-software-development-kit

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes

Thank you @LisaZ_26,

When the schematic is finished I will happily share.  I am not a C programmer, so this could be a bit of a steep slope for me.  This is a personal project for me, as well as a learning experience.

I'm currently on the hunt to hire a programmer for this project, just not sure where to look.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some further help from this forum once I have final schematics.

Thank you!
Dustin B.

0 Likes

Hi Dustin B,

You can fill a new thread based on your questions anytime if this case cannot be replied. I am very glad to clarify.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes