CCG2 in managed active EMCA solution with redriver at each end of cable: What is the power supply for redriver, VCONN or Vbus?

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am looking into making an active cable for USB3.1 5Gbps TypeC-to-TypeC, and found in Cypress design document a diagram showing how to use two CCG2 in the cable to communicate and control the redrivers.  However, from the picture it is unclear what power supply is used for the redriver, is it VCONN or VBUS?  If it is VBUS, how would I deal with the use case of USB PD cause VBUS to increase beyond 5V?

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your help.

Hao

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Hao,

As per Type-C SPEC, All of Cable is VCONN powered.

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Hi Hao,

As per Type-C SPEC, All of Cable is VCONN powered.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Liz,

Sorry I haven’t used this discussion board much, I couldn’t find a way to reply to you on the website, so I am replying to this email, hopefully it will be able to reach you.

Thank you for confirming the use of VCONN to power all the elements inside of this managed active cable. I have several follow up questions, please help to answer:

1. Do you have a reference design of this managed active EMCA solution?

2. Any suggestion on what redriver ICs to use for the active portion?

• From the block diagram, all 12 data signals(6 pairs consists of 2 pairs of SS TX, 2 pairs of SS RX, and 2 pairs of HS DP/DM) need to go through the redriver, I have used redrivers for SS signals before, but for the HS DP/DM is the diagram referring to reconditioner?

Hao

0 Likes

Hi Hao,

1. If you need a Cypress Active cable reference design, please kindly contact Intel for details information.

2. The re-driver IC comes from Intel, please kindly contact Intel for details information.

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes