CCG2 EMCA design

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kosa_4707851
Level 1
Level 1
5 questions asked 5 replies posted Welcome!

Hello !

Please tell me a few things about EMCA.

・Cypress EMCA products are available for active cables.What is the difference between the two?

(CMG1,CCG2)

・There are two writing methods,SWD and CC.Which is the recommended method for EMCA?

(Does it generally need to be designed to handle both?)

・I found out that in another thread,if I need a custom EMCA FW,I need to contact the agency.

When is there no need for custom?

(I want a list of default specifications)

Best Regards

Koji

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

1.What are the specific differences between the two ICs?

(Is it necessary to have a special function to support the active cable?)

>>One difference between CMG1 and CCG2 are that CCG2 provides solutions for both active and passive cables, CMG1 is only for passive cables. Also, CMG1 also supports Thunderbolt.

Can you kindly answer a couple of questions so that we can provide better help regarding the specific use and more appropriate device for your design:

a) Are you working on passive cable or active cable?

b) Is it Thunderbolt or non-Thunderbolt?

2..I think it is difficult to set the SWD pin considering the size of the board.Is FW update in CC comonn?

>>Yes, FW update over CC is supported for all CCGx devices.

3. Do I always need to customize my active cable design?

>>No

If you need to customize active cable design, feel free to contact local Cypress FAE for support.

Contact Information:https://www.cypress.com/cypress-franchised-distributors

Best Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

1. Cypress EMCA products are available for active cables.What is the difference between the two?

(CMG1,CCG2)

>>One key difference between CMG1 and CCG2 USB Type-C controllers is that while CCG2 along with providing solutions for active and passive cables can also be used in upstream and downstream facing applications, CMG1 exclusively targets Electronically Marked Type-C Thunderbolt and non-Thunderbolt passive cable applications.

2. There are two writing methods,SWD and CC.Which is the recommended method for EMCA?

(Does it generally need to be designed to handle both?)

>>Since it comes with a cc bootloader by default, you can use the EZ-PD Configuration Utility for updating the firmware. Otherwise SWD is also possible if Miniprog3 is easily available and can be used.

3. I found out that in another thread,if I need a custom EMCA FW,I need to contact the agency.

When is there no need for custom?

(I want a list of default specifications)

>> For passive cables, you can refer to the following reference design https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg2-electronically-marked-cable-assem... and also configure parameters using EZ-PD Configuration Utility.

For active cables if you want customisation ,please contact the local Cypress FAE.

Best Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your response!

2.I think it is difficult to set the SWD pin considering the size of the board.Is FW update in CC comonn?

3.Do I always need to customize my active cable design?

Best Regards

Koji

0 Likes

Hello,

>>One difference between CMG1 and CCG2 are that CCG2 provides solutions for both active and passive cables, CMG1 is only for passive cables. Also, CMG1 also supports Thunderbolt.

Can you kindly answer a couple of questions so that we can provide better help regarding the specific use and more appropriate device for your design:

a) Are you working on passive cable or active cable?

b) Is it Thunderbolt or non-Thunderbolt?

2..I think it is difficult to set the SWD pin considering the size of the board.Is FW update in CC comonn?

>>Yes, FW update over CC is supported for all CCGx devices.

3. Do I always need to customize my active cable design?

>>No

If you need to customize active cable design, feel free to contact local Cypress FAE for support.

Contact Information:https://www.cypress.com/cypress-franchised-distributors

Best Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes