Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Q1) About OVP
It is possible to set the OVP threshold from "VBUS Overvoltage Protection" on page 3 of the data sheet.
I can't find the description of the setting method.If it is determined by the OVP setting method or the VBUS set voltage, please tell me the specific value of VBUS voltage-threshold value.
Also, please tell me the behavior when OVP is detected. (Only the FAULT output was confirmed.)

Q2) About short protection
The clamp voltage is typ 9V, but  please tell me the "Response Speed"?

Q3) About UVP
There is a description about UVP in the BCR EVK Guide (Supports on-chip OVP and UVP to protect system from faults),
I couldn't find it in the datasheet. Please tell me the existence and outline.

Q4) About soft start
The inclination of the soft start is the recognition of "SRPU" in "Table 18. Gate Driver AC Specifications". Is it correct?

Best Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Q1) 

The function of VDC_OUT is monitoring the VBUS output to the system. The Over-Voltage Protection Event bit Shall be set when the Sink detects its output voltage exceeds its limits triggering its protection circuitry. Sinks Should attempt to send a Hard Reset message when over voltage protection engages followed by an Alert Message indicating an OVP event once an Explicit Contract has been established. When VBUS is out of the (VBUS_MIN, VBUS_MAX) range, the OVP event is triggered. The Sink FET is turned off to protect the system from excess voltage.  Please refer the BCR HPI spec for more details. 

Abhilash_P_0-1632928503958.png

Q2) 

Abhilash_P_1-1632930151286.png

Q3) This depicts the safe PWR enable feature. It is determined by the USB-PD spec (which is ± 5% during steady state, and ±1V during transitions). In a scenario where VBUS is out of range by a significant amount (20% or more), OVP and UVP triggers will shut the supply down.

Q4) Yes, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Abhilash P

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Abhilash_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Q1) 

The function of VDC_OUT is monitoring the VBUS output to the system. The Over-Voltage Protection Event bit Shall be set when the Sink detects its output voltage exceeds its limits triggering its protection circuitry. Sinks Should attempt to send a Hard Reset message when over voltage protection engages followed by an Alert Message indicating an OVP event once an Explicit Contract has been established. When VBUS is out of the (VBUS_MIN, VBUS_MAX) range, the OVP event is triggered. The Sink FET is turned off to protect the system from excess voltage.  Please refer the BCR HPI spec for more details. 

Abhilash_P_0-1632928503958.png

Q2) 

Abhilash_P_1-1632930151286.png

Q3) This depicts the safe PWR enable feature. It is determined by the USB-PD spec (which is ± 5% during steady state, and ±1V during transitions). In a scenario where VBUS is out of range by a significant amount (20% or more), OVP and UVP triggers will shut the supply down.

Q4) Yes, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Abhilash P

0 Likes