ALT MODE DISPLAY PORT SINK based on CCG4 EZ-PD DOCK REF design

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
siphc_4035681
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on the alternate mode DisplayPort SINK design. I only need DisplayPort signal in alternate mode via usb type-c connector.

Based on EZ-PD DOCK REF design I cut out blocks/chips not required for my design. Please take a look at attached block diagram and please advice, if it is required to change. To be able to get the DisplayPort signal pass through type C connector to  PS8742B mux --> to DisplayPort splitter and for the flipping control CCG4 CYPD4236 will be used as provided in ref design.  My question is: Do I need DMC controller CY7C65219 also?

For the Firmware side: CCG4 USB-PD CONTROLLER FW, supplied with the EZ-PD DOCK REF design can be used for alt DP SINK application or does it need to modify?

(I don't need any Power source/sink or any usb functions in the design, strictly only for displayPort signal.), Thanks!

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

• Billboard is required for alt mode sink. You can see it is present in CCG2 ref design as well.
  • Dock ref design uses CY7C65219 as DMC+billboard. you will not require DMC functionality but billboard is required. Your question will be better answered by this collateral.
  • The CCG4 Dock FW will be slightly different to standard FW since it includes DMC and other components related to power system and USB datapath.
  • FW programming can be done through either SWD + miniprog3 or I2C (CYPD4236 comes pre-programmed with I2C bootloader + application firmware).

Regards,

Rajath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
RajathB_01
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Hi,

CCG4 is a dual port controller. Since you are cutting down most of the dock part and only using the upstream facing display datapath you can choose a single port controller - CCG3/CCG2.

You will require the mux and display splitter for your application, but the DMC is not required.

Please also take a look at this CCG2 Monitor/Dock reference design: https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg2-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution - You will have to remove the hub and downstream part of it like you did with CCG4, but retain the billboard controller.

CCG3 incorporates an internal billboard, to comply with alternate mode specifications.

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for the recommendation. Because we have other designs using dual port CCG4 chip (CYPD4236) and probably using same Firmware I prefer CCG4 CYPD4236 for my design.

In my application (sink DisplayPort signal only), do I need Billboard support ?

EZ-PD Dock ref design guide mentioned that "DMC is providing Billboard support to indicate alternate mode status".

If I don't use DMC, host or DFP or notebook will be sending out alt mode displayPort signal?

On the FW side: Can I use ref design provided FW for CCG4 chip as it is?

What are the options to do the FW upload to the CCG4 chip?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi,

• Billboard is required for alt mode sink. You can see it is present in CCG2 ref design as well.
  • Dock ref design uses CY7C65219 as DMC+billboard. you will not require DMC functionality but billboard is required. Your question will be better answered by this collateral.
  • The CCG4 Dock FW will be slightly different to standard FW since it includes DMC and other components related to power system and USB datapath.
  • FW programming can be done through either SWD + miniprog3 or I2C (CYPD4236 comes pre-programmed with I2C bootloader + application firmware).

Regards,

Rajath

0 Likes