MPU configuration not effect on CYT3DL

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
StefanoToselli
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

I'm asking support for the configuration shown on Lauterbach debugger for MPU. 

On  Region 3 address 0x28018000 I allocate a variable in RAM as shown on watch window called:  “VF_Safe_u8DebugCnt”.

Region 3 overlaps Region 0 considered as background but I'm using logic of priority based on Region ID higher wins  so I expect that Region 3 setting are the actual applied for this section where my variable is.

Region 3 for the instant I set the breakpoint is Disabled but it is still visible and modifiable by an increment operation done by my task.

StefanoToselli_0-1665586621968.png

I expected on exception or at least the impossibility to modify it.

As suggested on other forum, Region 3 has no cache.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ashish
25 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi StefanoToselli,

Two observations based on the screenshot you attached- 

a) Region 3 is disabled, so MPU settings for region 3 settings are not applicable. Since Region 0 overlaps this, and is Enabled- this will be applicable for your memory, irrespective of your priority logic.

b) The AP access value is '3', i.e. full RW access (in both region 0, region 3 settings)- so I don't see why you should not be able to modify the value, or why it should throw exception upon accessing the variable you mentioned.

Thanks,

Ashish

PREVIEW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Ashish
25 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi StefanoToselli,

Two observations based on the screenshot you attached- 

a) Region 3 is disabled, so MPU settings for region 3 settings are not applicable. Since Region 0 overlaps this, and is Enabled- this will be applicable for your memory, irrespective of your priority logic.

b) The AP access value is '3', i.e. full RW access (in both region 0, region 3 settings)- so I don't see why you should not be able to modify the value, or why it should throw exception upon accessing the variable you mentioned.

Thanks,

Ashish

PREVIEW

0 Likes

Thanks Ashish,

having an operating system with creation of a TRUSTED application and a TRUSTED WITH PROTECTION that notifies with a callback every time what is running, the intention was to configure MPU with a region, the 3 in our case, considered to be protected when TRUSTED WITH PROTECTION runs.
So in the OS callback I am enabling and disabling region 3, thinking that in this way, if disabled, the application TRUSTED WITH PROTECTION could not access it. I think at this point I have confused the concept expressed in the AN219843

Region 0 is used as the background region. If no attributes are specified by another region, the background region will be applied.

I thought it meant that ONLY if the region was not fully defined then it uses the background setting, actually if a region is defined but disabled is equivalent to not defining it and then falling into the background is accessible.

Maybe in the operating system callback I can alternate the two attributes of region 3: CY_MPU_ACCESS_P_NO_ACCESS and CY_MPU_ACCESS_P_FULL_ACCESS keeping to OS the sync events to control them.

Or, completely changing approach is more correct to use the attribute CY_MPU_ACCESS_P_PRIV_RW but I am not clear how I can communicate to MPU when I am privileged or not: Is it maybe the example functions:

void SetUserMode(void)

{

__ASM("MRS r0, CONTROL"); // Read CONTROL register into R0

__ASM("ORR r0, r0, #1"); // nPRIV -> 1

__ASM("MSR CONTROL, r0"); // Write R0 into CONTROL register

}

void SVC_SetPrivilegedMode(void)

{

__ASM("SVC 0x02"); // SVC index = 2: Get privileged mode

}

0 Likes

Hi StefanoToselli,

Yes, the "disable" attribute is for MPU disable, so it's equivalent to not applying that attribute as said earlier. So if you want to restrict R/W access to the region, you have to restrict it using the AP attribute (access permission). Now, you mentioned the approach to alternate the two attributes of region 3: CY_MPU_ACCESS_P_NO_ACCESS and CY_MPU_ACCESS_P_FULL_ACCESS keeping to OS the sync events to control them. We think this should be okay- you can try this.

Thanks,

Ashish

0 Likes