Wrong factory firmware on CYBT-343026-01?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SiBo_4533826
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi Cypress,

I purchased the devkit for the CYBT-343026-01 modules (CYBT-343026-EVAL) and was able to use it for my specific needs (run it in SPP mode) in an instant. Consequently I used the module in a design (replicated the evaluation board's schematic), received the boards, but the modules will not communicate through the PUART which leaves me unable to send/receive HCI commands for configuration. On top of that the name of the Bluetooth device is "MTK DUT 706" which is different from what the datasheet says.

I have not found anything related to this online and I am starting to be suspicious that there is a problem with the factory firmware.

Best,

Simon.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Simon,

By default, CYBT-343026 is shipped with Ez-serial FW (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform ).

Also, I would recommend you to get your design (schematics) checked from Cypress. Re-checking on your own should also work. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

Hi Simon,

By default, CYBT-343026 is shipped with Ez-serial FW (https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-serial-ez-ble-module-firmware-platform ).

Also, I would recommend you to get your design (schematics) checked from Cypress. Re-checking on your own should also work. 

0 Likes

Hi Sheeta,

Thank you for your response. I have in fact checked the schematic. I also replaced the BLE module on the EVAL board with one of the BLE modules I purchased separately just to make sure the boundary conditions are the identical. I also used a module that was previously unused just to make sure I didn't damage the unit.

After doing this I can confirm that the PUART does not respond and that the device name is "MTK DUT 706", not "EZ-Serial XX....". 

It is the 3rd module that I test and displays the same behavior. I know what it "should" do, but it's just not behaving like that. Can you please provide some insight?

0 Likes

Hi Simon,

We can check on few things-

1. Please check user guide sections 2.2 & 2.3 to confirm if everything you are doing is correct.

2. Are you able to see HCI & PUART ports in Device Manager? Check for the correct UART pins. 

3. Can you try programming the module using WICED Studio once and check if it works? You will need to install platform files- Platform Files for CYBT-343026-EVAL  

You can use Module programmer as well for programming the module.

Sheetal

0 Likes

Hi Sheetal,

Thank you for your reply. I had already gone though steps 1 and 2.

I downloaded the files on 3 and followed the procedure. The problem is that the procedure you provided a link for does not provide the "factory firmware". It only has the necessary files to compile a project and a couple of examples. 

I ended up modifying one of the example "spp.c", making a target and was able to successfully load the binary into the module. Doing this I was able to use the module as a transparent UART as I initially wanted to do.

By doing this I can confirm that the firmware the modules were shipped with was incorrect. Would you please be able to provide the correct factory firmware? Having to write custom firmware really defeats the purpose of using the module in SPP mode.

Simon.

0 Likes

Thank you Sheetal.

Do you provide personalized support? We would like to get our schematic verified and assisted with the firmware.

Simon.

0 Likes

Please contact Cypress Tech support or your local Cypress team/FAE. They will help you with the proper way to get the schematic review done.

0 Likes