OTA upgraded failed in CYBT-343026 with Modustoolbox compatible BTSDK v2.7

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiA_4003596
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hi,

The flag "OTA_FW_UPGRADE?=1"  is present in the Makefile but the OTA upgrade is failed in CYBT-343026 module with light lightness server application code of Modustoolbox compatible BTSDK v2.7. I am using the application code and peer app from the same SDK. I have tried in Android/IOS with no success.

Please suggest.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes
1 Solution

HI,

Could you please make the change "ConfigDSLocation = 16384" in the CYBT-343026-EVAL-SFLASH.btp, and try again?

(.\wiced_btsdk\dev-kit\bsp\TARGET_CYBT-343026-EVAL\CYBT-343026-EVAL-SFLASH.btp)

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

Are you facing this issue only for light lightness server application ?

Are you trying with CYBT-343026 module EVAL kit? or custom board? Could you please provide more info regarding your testing?

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

I am using custom board with CYBT-343151-02 module and have tried mesh on/off, lightness server application for OTA upgrade.

FYI, the evaluation board CYW920706WCDEVAL is taking OTA upgrade with lightness server application code. So, I've compared both the application code and makefile of CYW920706WCDEVAL and CYBT-343026, but could not find  any difference except "Target name" in the makefile.

Using ota.bin file in the "Select Firmware File" inside "Device OTA" of individual node window in Android mobile application and then clicked Start OTA. The status message indicate "Node connected, Start downloading", that's all after that. Even I have waited long enough to finish but no other indication message later. Again if I click Start OTA, there is a pop-up with message OTA already started.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes

Hi,

I could reproduce similar issue on CYBT-343026-EVAL.

Let me do some testing to understand the issue. I will get back to you, hopefully with a workaround.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

HI,

Could you please make the change "ConfigDSLocation = 16384" in the CYBT-343026-EVAL-SFLASH.btp, and try again?

(.\wiced_btsdk\dev-kit\bsp\TARGET_CYBT-343026-EVAL\CYBT-343026-EVAL-SFLASH.btp)

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion. OTA upgrade is working now.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes

Hi,

I could see OTA upgrade for individual node, Could I do upgrade for entire network or group.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes

Hi,

Currently we support OTA firmware upgrade over GATT.

Device Firmware Update (DFU) feature (To apply firmware update across the network) is part of mesh spec1.1 which should be released later this year. We will also be supporting DFU accordingly.

May I know the end product you are working towards? Is DFU a necessary feature for it?

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

My end product is an LED Lighting controller. Many a time, dimmable nodes per network might be between 50-100.

As you have mentioned in another thread, every release has some bug fix or improvement and no guarantee of compatibility of different release mesh peer app and application code. Imagine in the future either to replace a failed one or to add a few more nodes, it is quite challenging to keep the same release. In that case, upgrading the entire system is very difficult if I have to go into an individual node. It would be better to have a complete network upgrade. I understand there may be 1-2 nodes being a switch node in the same network and it can be programmed individually.

I would like to give you a real experience I have faced. Before mass production released the BLE lighting controller with the cypress CYBT-343151-02 module and WICED 6.2 lightness server application code, we just wanted to go for a reliability test. So, we produced 300 nos as pilot production and installed in our premises. Initially, lights had been controlled through 2 Android devices and after two months, a few of my colleagues just wanted to try with their android device. Later one was not able to control the lights even though connected to the network and also created some other issue like only one device was able to control and others could not. To resolve this issue the cypress team suggested upgrading the system with Modustoolbox. Also, since the default SDK release of CYBT-343026 did not support OTA upgrade (in another thread, you have resolved the OTA upgrade issue with the CYBT-343026 by some insert) and I had to manually programmed the device and it took a week to configure. What would customers think if we supplied and did this at the customer place. It could have been more helpful if the OTA and complete network upgrade worked.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

As I mentioned, Device Firmware Update (DFU) feature is not part of the current mesh spec1.0. We will be supporting DFU, when the next revision of Mesh spec is released.

Please note: The helper applications (Android/IOS app, Windows MeshClient) should work with any version of embedded apps, unless there is bug either in the peer app or in the embedded app. They all comply to Mesh Spec which does not change frequently. So I hope, the compatibility does not create any issue in your test setup.

For testing/debugging (in a small network), it is recommended to use the same version of helper applications and embedded apps, to narrow down and figure out the actual mesh functional issues, if there is any.

I hope, below thread response explains how multiple provisioners used in a wrong way can create problems in controlling mesh network. Please take care of the recommendations mentioned in it.

Re: Modustoolbox btstkv2.7 peer app mesh compatibility issue with different Android version

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

NK

0 Likes