How to use standard HCI on CYW20819 / CYW920819EVB-02 Evaluation Kit?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mringwal
Level 4
Level 4
Associated Partner - BlueKitchen GmbH
5 sign-ins 10 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi

The documentation for the CYW20819 mentions support for regular HCI. In the ModusToolbox IDE, I didn't find something like a 'HCI Firmware', but some documents, like the WICED-HCI-Control-Protocol.pdf mentions that the device will start in HCI mode if there's no external flash or if there's no valid application.

1. Is it possible to use CYW20819 over HCI with a third-party Bluetooth stack?

2. How could this be tested with the CYW920819EVB-02 Evaluation Kit?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

CYW20819 support standard HCI command which is defined in the Bluetooth spec. Please pull the CTS to high when you reset the device. Then the device can enter HCI mode. You can send HCI command with the CyBluetool :CyBluetool (Windows Installer) .Sorry that I pasted the wrong link before.

We didn't test the device with a third-party Bluetooth stack, you need to test it by your self.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

CYW20819 support standard HCI command which is defined in the Bluetooth spec. Please pull the CTS to high when you reset the device. Then the device can enter HCI mode. You can send HCI command with the CyBluetool :CyBluetool (Windows Installer) .Sorry that I pasted the wrong link before.

We didn't test the device with a third-party Bluetooth stack, you need to test it by your self.

mringwal
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for your quick reply. One follow-up question:

Is there some document that describes the different modes and how they are activated for  newer devices in particular 20706 and the 20819?

- You just described pulling CTS up to enable standard HCI on 20819

- There seems to be another mode (at least on the 2070x), where only a few HCI are available and which seems to be  used to download firmware.

- In another post I've read about disabling the Flash on the 20706 (via switches 1-5 on SW7 on the CYW920706WCDEVAL), which also seems to enable standard HCI - although the stack did properly boot up, I couldn't connect to it via LE.

0 Likes

Sorry, we don't have a document for the different modes.

Another mode, we call it recover mode or download mode, which is used to download firmware. The device can enter recover mode by push the recover button during reset. The recover pin is different for each device, you can find it in the kit board guide.

For the HCI mode, it is also different for 20706 and 20819.

You may refer to the following blog for 20706 HCI mode: Run CYW20706 in HCI Mode

For 20819, just as said before, you can enter HCI mode by pulling CTS high during reset. If there is an avaliable application in the flash, the baud rate for HCI is decided by the application configuration. If there isn't avaliable application in the flash, the HCI baud rate will be the default value which is 115200.

mringwal
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks a lot again. I'll go forward and get a dev kit then.

Last question: how to enable HCI in 20719? (Then I think I'll have all your newer dual-mode devices covered).

0 Likes

The HCI for 20719 is same as 20819. Just need to pull CTS high during reset.

mringwal
Level 4
Level 4

Excellent.

0 Likes