How to use CYBT-483039-EVAL USB serial terminal to send API commands to enable CYSPP service?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
edOfTheInfineon
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 10 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Does CYBT-483039-EVAL board support sending API commands via serial terminal?

I expected to see  serial terminal output when I connect to the eval board and press SW1 reset. 

• I never see any output in USB serial terminal. 
  • I tried 115,200 baud on either of two ports discovered, /dev/tty.usbmodem1421301 and /dev/tty.usbmodem1421303 
  • I see a MTKDUT739B1 BLE peripheral  with zero services advertised when I run a BLE app on my iPhone.

My goal is to figure out how to communicate with CYSPP with an iOS app.

Thank you,

-Ed

0 Likes
1 Solution

The device is configured as a peripheral role and cyspp auto-start by default.

When the module power on, you should see the device in your phone. Then you can connect to it and the CYSPP will auto start.

You can also use the CYSPPSP to set the CYSPP configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
edOfTheInfineon
Level 3
Level 3
First solution authored 10 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hello Owen,

Thank you very much for your help to solve!

I incorrectly assumed EZ-BT Module Arduino CYBT-483039-EVAL board was shipped with the latest EZ-Serial firmware installed on device.

Solution:

Warning: You cannot use CYSPP and BT SPP simultaneously.

1) Open page AIROC™ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth EZ-Serial Module Firmware Platform, and expand section Supported Modules and Documentation, and downloaded EZ-Serial Binary Downloads for CYBT-483039-02

2) Downloaded WICED Module Programmer ( WICED_MOD_Prog_v1.5.19.102.zip ) from 

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/WICED-Module-Programmer-User-Guide-KBA2250...

3) Launch WICED_MOD_Programmer.exe

1. Select Module Name: CYBT-483039-02
  2. Select Programming Board: UART Adapter Board ( Do not use "CYBT-4830390-02 Prog Kit", this is NOT the same as the CYBT-483039-EVAL kit, selecting it will Fail )
  3. Select DUT #1, Serial Port Configure button
  4. Select Programmer Firmware File Path, selecting the firmware hex file downloaded in step1, for example, ezserial_CYBT-483039-02.hex
  5. Check [x] Program BD Address, and [X] Gen a Random address
  6. Program
  7. After programming, EZ-Serial service should display on Android devices and allow pairing and connecting
  8. Using a Bluetooth app such as LightBlue on iOS will display EZ-Serial service BLE peripheral

If needed to recover, before programming try this:

1. Press and hold the 'Recover' button on the kit.
  2. Press and hold the 'Reset' button on the kit.
  3. Release the 'Reset' button.
  4. After one second, release the 'Recover' button.

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/WICED-Module-Programmer-User-Guide-KBA2250...

4) Power-up CYBT-483039-EVAL

The factory default configuration enables the CYSPP profile in auto-start mode

5) Install the LightBlue app on iOS or Android.
See iOS screenshot of LightBlue app connected to EZ-Serial highlighting the CYSPP service

Including CYSPP, three services are displayed.

1) CYSPP Cypress Serial Port Profile, 65333333-A115-11E2-9E9A-0800200CA100

2) CYCommand Profile, 65333333-A115-11E2-9E9A-0800200CA200

The Cypress Command Profile (CYCommand) provides remote access to EZ-Serial’s API protocol. With this profile, you can send and receive API commands, responses, and events from a remote device without having wired access to the target module.

3) OTA upgrade service. AE5D1E47-5C13-43A0-8635-82AD38A1381F

edOfTheInfineon_0-1657295089460.png

6) Install Bluetooth Assistant app on Android or iOS.  The advertising popups are annoying but it is easier send ASCII or HEX data from the app.

1) Select the Acknowledge Data characteristic "65333333-A115-11E2-9E9A-0800200CA101"

2) Enter "Hello World!" in ASCII text and press Write

3) Verify in the serial terminal connected to your eval board, you see "Hello World!\r\n"

Thank you for you help Owen!

-Ed

0 Likes

Please use the wiced module programmer to download the FW.

Please select "UART Adapter Board" for the programming board. You need to put the device in recover mode if the program fails.

Hi Owen,  

Can both BT SPP ( Bluetooth Classic ) and CYSPP be used simultaneously? 

For example,:
1) IOS app communicates via CYSPP connection to CYBT device1

2) CYBT device1 simultaneously communicates via  BT SPP connection to a second CYBT device2

Thank you,

-Ed

0 Likes
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

No, the FW can only support one transport at the same time. You cannot use CYSPP and BT SPP simultaneously.

0 Likes
How can I use the text API to enable CYSPP so that an iOS app can discover CYSPP and connect?

Thank you,

-Ed

This electronic message including any attachments ("Message") may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under trade secret and other applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, permanently delete all copies of this Message, and be aware that examination, use, dissemination, duplication or disclosure of this Message is strictly prohibited. This email and any files transmitted with it from Charles Machine Works are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.
0 Likes

The device is configured as a peripheral role and cyspp auto-start by default.

When the module power on, you should see the device in your phone. Then you can connect to it and the CYSPP will auto start.

You can also use the CYSPPSP to set the CYSPP configuration.

0 Likes