How to get EZ-serial to show device name when pairing?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MB2
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

We have a device using CYBT-343026 module with EZ-Serial Firmware.  During initialization the application calls gap_get_device_name to set some application specific name.  Using a typical Android BLT scanner/pairing app the device appears in the scan list with the device name that was set by the application.  When an attempt is made to pair with the device the name shown in any pairing pop-up boxes is of the form "EZ-Serial E8:B9:12_BT" rather than the device name.

Is there a way to get the pairing operation to use the device name rather the default "EZ-Serial..."?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @MB2 ,

Can you try to perform the following commands and let us know if it solves the issue?

1. Set the new device name using SDN$, N=new name, T=0 

$ is needed to save this configuration in flash or you can issue the command without $ and then issue /SCFG to store the RAM config to flash.

2. Perform a device reset -> This is needed to update the GATT DB with the new device name. You can check this by reading the handle = 3 using /RLH, H=03. This should report the device name characteristic in hex.

3. Try to connect and pair and let us know if this solves the issue.

BragadeeshV_0-1653640687563.png

Also, the "_BT" in the device name is the device name of the BT classic. For some reason the phone seems to pull this information as well. Can you try to change the device name of the BT classic as well to see if it is reflected during pairing? 

Use the following command SDN$, N=new name, T=1

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hello @MB2 

Do you mean you tried gap_set_device_name API ? Please confirm. 

Can you please send us the exact flow of commands & parameters which you tried ? 

Hope you already referred to section 3.1.3 Changing Device Name and Appearance in the user guide : https://www.infineon.com/dgdlac/Infineon-EZ-Serial_WICED_Firmware_Platform_User_Guide_for_CYW2070x-b...

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes
MB2
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello,

Thanks for the document reference.

Yes the application calls the  gap_set_device_name API.

If I run the application and stop it just before the call to  gap_set_device_name and then scan for devices on my Android phone the device is shown as "EZ-Serial E8:B9:60_BT".  If I then allow the application to call  gap_set_device_name the device is still shown as "EZ-Serial E8:B9:60_BT".

The application then calls gap_start_adv API.  At this point a re-scan shows the device with the correct application specific name (e.g. product-serial-num...).  If then I then ask to pair with the device the phone pairing app pops up a box asking if I want to pair with "EZ-Serial E8:B9:60_BT".  I would have assumed it would show the device name that was set by the application rather than the EZ-Serial name.

The application does not call gap_set_device_appearance API.  I am not sure if this is a problem or not.  I am debugging a previously written app so I am not sure if this was intentional or an omission.

Regards.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @MB2 ,

Thanks for the update. Can you please let us know which version of the Ez Serial FW you are using?

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi,

I have loaded firmware versions 1.1.14 and 1.2.29 and the behaviour seemed to be the same with both.

Regards.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @MB2 ,

Thanks for confirming. We checked with the FW team, it looks like a bug in the FW. We are working with the FW team to get this fixed in the next release of the FW. Thank you for pointing out the issue. 

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Mike.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @MB2 ,

Can you try to perform the following commands and let us know if it solves the issue?

1. Set the new device name using SDN$, N=new name, T=0 

$ is needed to save this configuration in flash or you can issue the command without $ and then issue /SCFG to store the RAM config to flash.

2. Perform a device reset -> This is needed to update the GATT DB with the new device name. You can check this by reading the handle = 3 using /RLH, H=03. This should report the device name characteristic in hex.

3. Try to connect and pair and let us know if this solves the issue.

BragadeeshV_0-1653640687563.png

Also, the "_BT" in the device name is the device name of the BT classic. For some reason the phone seems to pull this information as well. Can you try to change the device name of the BT classic as well to see if it is reflected during pairing? 

Use the following command SDN$, N=new name, T=1

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi

I have not actually used the module in this interactive command mode.  Also, I have only our custom hardware to work with and not any development boards.  Our application talks to the module over the PUART port and then we have a header for the HCI UART that we use to load the firmware using ChipLoad.  So do I just connect something like a PUTTY terminal to the HCI UART?  Will that allow me to work in the interactive command mode or do I need some other development SDK?

Mike.

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @MB2 ,

I have still used the PUART to directly send commands to the module. I have simply used the text mode to send the parameters. You can still use your application to send commands to the module,. Check the user guide for the APIs that corresponds to the commands I listed in the previous response.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdlac/Infineon-EZ-Serial_WICED_Firmware_Platform_User_Guide_for_CYW2070x-b...

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes

Hi Bragadeesh,

It appears that the phone is using the classic name in some cases.  I tried setting both the BLE name and the BT name with the 'Type' option on the command.  Having set the BT name then the EZ-Serial name was no longer seen in the pairing process and the correct application specific name appeared throughout.  So I think we are happy with that.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mike.

0 Likes