Hello_sensor / hello_client disconnect unless connected to PC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
CoreyW_81
Employee
Employee
50 sign-ins 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

I have a customer working with the CYBT-483039 under WICED Studio 6.2.

He is using the hello_sensor and hello_client applications to test range.

When both evaluation boards for the the module (CYBT-483039-EVAL) are plugged into a PC, he is able to connect the two boards together and get them to stay connected.  He wants to be able to then take the board controlled by hello_sensor and move it across the building and just plug it in to a USB power supply.

However, every 10 seconds, the application was restarting ONLY when running on the power supply. When it was powered by the computer, it ran with no problems. However, I was measuring the current to compare the power supplies when the sensor application started restarting with the computer power supply as well. This continues even after resetting and re-flashing the application.

Any ideas what could cause this? Is there some sort of watchdog or expected input from HCI or PUART that I’m missing?

Let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ChCo_4398081
Level 1
Level 1

At CoreyW_81​'s suggestion, I turned the dip switches for the PUART off and this appears to have fixed the issue. The sensor now runs without any restarts to the application when running from a power supply or a pi USB power supply. It connects to the client now and is communicating as expected.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Owen_Zhang123
5 questions asked 500 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

I tried to connect the hello_sensor with a cysmart on the phone and can't see the restart.

Will it restart on the customer's side if connect with a phone?

0 Likes

Before the restarts started occurring, the sensor would connect to a phone and to the client. Once I tried powering from an external power supply and the restarts started occurring, it wouldn't connect to either. In both cases, the connection procedure would commence but before it would complete, the application would restart.

Are you powering the sensor with an external power supply?

0 Likes
ChCo_4398081
Level 1
Level 1

Interesting update: After leaving the hello_sensor unplugged over night, it is now working again when connected to the computer.

Can I connect a variable power supply directly to Vdd from the pin outs? That way I can ensure 3.3V is getting to the module and move it around to any outlet without a computer?

0 Likes

I'm not sure it is safe to plug 3.3V to VDD completely (assuming Vbus is not attached) as I don't know how the voltage regulator might back power the Vbus signal.  You might be able to short Vbus to ground and this should keep the FET between IN and OUT off thus allowing you to directly power VDD with 3.3V.

OwenZ_26 - any thoughts?

You can connect a 3.3V power supply to the VDD and GND Port at J1 on the Kit board.

By my test, I use a phone changer to power the board on J5 and it works fine.

In your previous test, are you powering the board with a power bank. Some power bank may have the low current detect function, it may turn off the power after a few seconds if the output current is too small.

0 Likes

I tried on a UPS and it had the same results. I also tested with a large power supply on 3.3V to ensure the power bank wasn't shutting off, same results. Also, this may not mean anything but the power LED never waivers on the EVAL board.

0 Likes
ChCo_4398081
Level 1
Level 1

At CoreyW_81​'s suggestion, I turned the dip switches for the PUART off and this appears to have fixed the issue. The sensor now runs without any restarts to the application when running from a power supply or a pi USB power supply. It connects to the client now and is communicating as expected.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes