Forwarding HCI Trace Events to PUART

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
aglier
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

I'm using the HCI Uart to send and receive commands from my host computer to the CYBT module.

I also managed to see Trace output generated by "WICED_BT_TRACE" via BTSpy on PUART.

However, when I enable HCI Trace I will receive alot of HCI Trace Events on my HCI Uart. But I can't interprete these data.

I would like to let BTSpy interprete those events. How can I forward those HCI Trace Events to the PUART? Will BTSpy be capable of interpreting the data?

Best regards

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
BragadeeshV
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hi @aglier ,

Thanks for clarifying. The HCI traces (between embedded host and controller) can be routed only through HCI UART and not PUART. Since you need these traces only for debugging, we recommend you to attach Client control to the HCI UART and later you can use BTSpy to listen to the traces. Steps needed in your application to add support for Btspy is detailed below.

https://github.com/Infineon/CypressAcademy_BT101_Files/blob/master/PDFs/WBT101-05-Debugging.pdf

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BragadeeshV

Hi @aglier ,

Could you please provide a block diagram of your setup?

I'm using the HCI Uart to send and receive commands from my host computer to the CYBT module.

-> Are you using your device in controller only mode or embedded mode? What commands are you sending using HCI UART? Is it HCI commands or WICED HCI commands? Are you interfacing the CYBT module to  Client Control?

I also managed to see Trace output generated by "WICED_BT_TRACE" via BTSpy on PUART.

-> Can you please clarify this? PUART can not be connected to BtSPY.  We can only connect HCI UART to Btspy. You might have set the wiced_set_debug_uart API with  WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_WICED_UART. PUART is only used to send WICED_BT_TRACE messages and normal UART messages. 

However, when I enable HCI Trace I will receive alot of HCI Trace Events on my HCI Uart. But I can't interprete these data. I would like to let BTSpy interprete those events. How can I forward those HCI Trace Events to the PUART? Will BTSpy be capable of interpreting the data?

-> Could you please clarify how you enabled HCI trace? Are you referring to the HCI messages between host and controller? We can view the HCI traces only through BTspy through HCI UART and not through PUART.

Please go through the below document . It explains how to route HCI trace messages to BtSpy via HCI UART. 

https://github.com/Infineon/CypressAcademy_BT101_Files/blob/master/PDFs/WBT101-05-Debugging.pdf

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi @BragadeeshV ,

I will try to explain my setup in more detail:

I don't use ClientControl.exe.

I wrote my own application that sends WICED HCI Protocol over HCI Uart to an CYBT-343026 EVAL board.

I wrote my own embedded application using Modus Toolbox.

The current configuration for Wiced trace is set by:

wiced_set_debug_uart(WICED_ROUTE_DEBUG_TO_PUART);

Which also works as expected. I can see all output from WICED_BT_TRACE("...") on the PUART by using a Serial Terminal.

My question is about the WICED Protocol Event: Hci Trace

For my understanding, this is what is send between the module internal controller and the bluetooth stack. 

I would like to read what is going on there. 

How can I interprete those? Do I have to do this "by hand" using the Bluetooth Core Spec or is there a software that might be able to interprete this (like BTSpy etc.)?

I hope this explains it a bit.

Best regards

Alex

0 Likes
BragadeeshV

Hi @aglier ,

Thanks for clarifying. The HCI traces (between embedded host and controller) can be routed only through HCI UART and not PUART. Since you need these traces only for debugging, we recommend you to attach Client control to the HCI UART and later you can use BTSpy to listen to the traces. Steps needed in your application to add support for Btspy is detailed below.

Regards,

Bragadeesh

Regards,
Bragadeesh
0 Likes
aglier
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Thank you. That helped me out.

0 Likes