File transfer over CYW20719

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JiZh_4619191
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 25 sign-ins 10 replies posted

Hi,

CYW20719 will transfer a 300KB file. I fill this 300KB file in 'uint8_t data[512] ' array for 600 times and send it.

sendFile()

{

uint8_t data[512];

uint16_t i;

for(i=0; i<600; i++)

{

wiced_bt_gatt_send_notification(thermistor_conn_id,  HDLC_FILE,  sizeof(data), data);

}

}

Unfortunately sendFile( ) sends only 10 notifications every time(note: i<600) !

What's wrong?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

First of all please confirm if you are using latest SDK version WICED 6.4. If not please try with SDK 6.4 

So for your i=9, the API returns WICED_BT_GATT_CONGESTED which means stack is running out of tx buffers.

If you have registered call back function to receive GATT call back with API   wiced_bt_gatt_register( cb_handler ); , you will get GATT_CONGESTION_EVT on gatt congestion.

{

uint16_t                                conn_id;            /**< ID of the connection */

wiced_bool_t                            congested;          /**< congestion state */

} wiced_bt_gatt_congestion_event_t;

The second parameter will tell whether the state is congestion or uncongestion . Whenever you receive a GATT_CONGESTION_EVT check congestion or uncongestion . If congestion , you should not send the next notification until GATT_CONGESTION_EVT  triggers again with state changed to uncongestion.

Could you please try this logic and see if it helps?

Regards,

Anjana

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AnjanaM_61
5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA 5 questions asked

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

1. How did you confirmed its sending only 10 times?

2. What is the peer device you are using ?

3. Can you please check the API return status when you see a failure

4. Could you please add a delay after the each send notification and see if issue still exists.

Regards,
Anjana

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Just as you suggested, I traced wiced_bt_gatt_send_notification() return status.

From i=0 to i=8, the API returns WICED_BT_GATT_SUCCESS;

When i=9, the API returns WICED_BT_GATT_CONGESTED;

And from i=10 to i=599 the API returns WICED_BT_GATT_INTERNAL_ERROR;

How to modify sendFile() function? Or do you have a better solution to send 300KB file?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

First of all please confirm if you are using latest SDK version WICED 6.4. If not please try with SDK 6.4 

So for your i=9, the API returns WICED_BT_GATT_CONGESTED which means stack is running out of tx buffers.

If you have registered call back function to receive GATT call back with API   wiced_bt_gatt_register( cb_handler ); , you will get GATT_CONGESTION_EVT on gatt congestion.

{

uint16_t                                conn_id;            /**< ID of the connection */

wiced_bool_t                            congested;          /**< congestion state */

} wiced_bt_gatt_congestion_event_t;

The second parameter will tell whether the state is congestion or uncongestion . Whenever you receive a GATT_CONGESTION_EVT check congestion or uncongestion . If congestion , you should not send the next notification until GATT_CONGESTION_EVT  triggers again with state changed to uncongestion.

Could you please try this logic and see if it helps?

Regards,

Anjana

Hi,

As you suggested, whenever received 'congested' event, I stopped to send notification. Until  'uncongestion' event, I send notification again.

The programm sends 300KB file correctly. But it cost 30 seconds!

Do you recommend a better solution to transfer 300KB file as soon as possible?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

I am unfortunately I don't see any other way to increase the speed...

However can you please let me know the below details:

1. What is the peer device ? Is it CYW20719 or any phone or ? - Check whats the MTU size set by your peer Central device

2. Can you please confirm / Check if you have set the MTU size to maximum (Say 512 ) and the negotiated MTU using in the LE connection is max - Check if the negotiated MTU is maximum

3. What is the connection interval & latency using ? -  try varying the Connection interval and see if there is any change in the time

4. In the WICED SDK , in config file, can you check Large Buffer Pool value ?  - Try changing the buff_size and count of Large Buffer pool (according to https://www.cypress.com/file/462716/download ) and see if it helps

const wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pool_t wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pools[WICED_BT_CFG_NUM_BUF_POOLS] =

{

/*  { buf_size, buf_count } */

{ 64,       12  },      /* Small Buffer Pool */

{ 360,      6   },      /* Medium Buffer Pool (used for HCI & RFCOMM control messages, min recommended size is 360) */

{ **,     **   },      /* Large Buffer Pool  (used for HCI ACL messages) */

{ 1056,     0   },      /* Extra Large Buffer Pool - Used for avdt media packets and miscellaneous (if not needed, set buf_count to 0) */

};

These are the options which I can suggest you . If still the time is not improving , then there may not be other way.

Thanks & Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi,

Thank you so much for your patience!

The peer device is IPhone7 CySmart. I don't know how to check its MTU size.

In wiced_app_cfg.c:

/* Connection configuration */

.conn_min_interval               = 112,                                                       // Minimum connection interval, 112 * 1.25 = 140ms.

.conn_max_interval               = 128,                                                       // Maximum connection interval, 128 * 1.25 = 160ms.

.conn_latency                    = WICED_BT_CFG_DEFAULT_CONN_LATENCY,                         // Connection latency, ~1sec

.conn_supervision_timeout        = WICED_BT_CFG_DEFAULT_CONN_SUPERVISION_TIMEOUT              // Connection link supervsion timeout

I didn't find Large Buffer Pool value in my current wiced_app_cfg.c.

According to your estimate, What is the shortest time for 300KB file transmission?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

I am sorry I don't have any test results as such.

In case of iphone Cysmart , mostly it will be using a default MTU size and connection interval settings.

If in your end application , you want to test you can make use of below points :

- In general LE Central device will set the connection parameters.  To modify the connection parameters like connection interval, from peripheral ,your device should send connection parameter update request using API wiced_bt_l2cap_update_ble_conn_params

- If you want to set and modify buffer pools - Refer implementation wiced_bt_cfg_buf_pool_t in hello_sensor or any LE demo project available in WICED

Thanks,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi,

I modified wiced_app_cfg_buf_pools, and the time consuming has reduced to 17 seconds!

What is the maxium MTU size of Bluetooth 5.0 ?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

That's great.

Maximum MTU size as per spec is 512 bytes.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes

Hi,

Can I modify MTU size of IPhone?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Iphone I am not sure. Because there used to be some limit for IOS MTU size.

You may check this on IoS LE app development page.

In General , default MTU size will be 23 bytes. Central can decide whether to use a different value for MTU size and initiate a MTU exchange request.

You may also try to request from peripheral side , for 20719 I think wiced_bt_gatt_configure_mtu is the API. However the decision will be upon Central side configuration / support.

Regards,
Anjana

Hi Anjana,

I'm not familiar with wiced_bt_l2cap_update_ble_conn_params().

I found this function in Cypress WICED Studio API Reference Guide.

Would you please to tell me how to get the first parameter of 'wiced_bt_device_address_t rem_bdRa'?

Thank you!

Jian

0 Likes

Hi Jian,

wiced_bt_l2cap_update_ble_conn_params  ( Check wiced_bt_l2c.h file )

First parameter is remote device BD address to which the device is connected. You will get this once the device is in connected state.

Example with respect to hello_sensor demo:

uint16_t min_int = 400; /* Minimum connection interval - 400 x 1.25 = 500 ms */

uint16_t max_int = 400; /* Maximum connection interval - 400 x 1.25 = 500 ms */

uint16_t latency = 0;   /* Slave latency */

uint16_t timeout = 500; /* Supervision timeout - 500 x 10 = 5000 ms */

result = wiced_bt_l2cap_update_ble_conn_params (hello_sensor_state.remote_addr,  min_int,  max_int,  latency,  timeout);

Please note iOS won't accept any random connection parameters. It should be as per ios spec . Refer Making a BLE Device Discoverable on iOS Devices - KBA223312

Also its depend on the app development whether to accept new connection interval or not.

These may also help:

Re: Code Example - Update connection parameter base on Wiced Studio

Thanks,

Anjana

Hi Anjana,

Before parameters update, Iphone can reveive 16KB per second.

After parameters update,:

wiced_bt_l2cap_update_ble_conn_params(p_conn_status->bd_addr, 20, 20, 0, 100);

Iphone can  reveive 10KB per second.

According to my understanding,  shorter connection interval will result faster data transfer rate.

Am I wrong?

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi JiZh_4619191 ,

Q) According to my understanding,  shorter connection interval will result faster data transfer rate.

=> yes , ideally it should be like that . But there may be some differences with specific corner cases depending on the connection interval and amount of data which we want to test. You may have to run a test with different values and see which one suits your application requirement.

Q) Does windows 10 accept any random connection parameters?

=> Its device specific. Mostly it should accept any connection interval values. I never came across any limitation with other devices than iphone.

Regards,

Anjana

0 Likes