Does hcd file have different type?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
LeonH
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Arrow(GC)
100 sign-ins First solution authored 50 sign-ins

Hi Sir,

When I use "demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL DIRECT_LOAD=1 build" to generate hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hcd

then use client control to download hcd to ram, hello_sensor can work and I can see the log from uart.

When I use another  make :"demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL download", besides hex file, I also can get "hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL-rom-ram-Wiced-release.hcd",

then I also use client control to download this hcd to ram, but hello_sensor can not work and I can't see any log from uart.

What is the hcd different between "DIRECT_LOAD=1" and "download"?

Can we use the hcd generated from "download" to download it to RAM?

0 Likes
1 Solution
SheetalJ
First comment on KBA 750 replies posted 500 likes received

If you build using DIRECT_LOAD=1, only a hcd file will be generated which will have addresses compatible to RAM (used for RAM download).

During normal download process, hcd file will have flash addresses which cannot be used for RAM download. Also, for flash download .hex file is used, not .hcd.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SheetalJ

Hi LeHs_2283161​,

There are two ways to download the program: RAM download and Flash download

Direct_load is for RAM download. Using Direct_load=1, program is built and received in RAM. It will generate the .hcd file which you will have to download using ClientControl.

In normal download mode, program is built and is available in flash. Therefore, after using "demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL download", you don't need to download the hcd file again using ClientControl.

0 Likes
LeonH
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor - Arrow(GC)
100 sign-ins First solution authored 50 sign-ins

Hi SheetalJ_96

I am just curious why the hcd built from "demo.hello_sensor-CYW920706WCDEVAL download" can't be used for RAM download.

Because my customer send me a hcd file, but I can't find any BT power output after RAM download by client control.

0 Likes
SheetalJ

If you build using DIRECT_LOAD=1, only a hcd file will be generated which will have addresses compatible to RAM (used for RAM download).

During normal download process, hcd file will have flash addresses which cannot be used for RAM download. Also, for flash download .hex file is used, not .hcd.