CYW920719Q40EVB-01 - How to setup Debugging via external JLink

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RoPe_3278591
Level 1
Level 1
First like received

Hello,

Is it possible to get some guidance (or pointer to a document) which details how to setup the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation board for debugging via an external JLink using SWD.

We are using WICED v6.1 and have successfully compiled and downloaded the demo.hello_sensor-CYW920719Q40EVB_01 target (using demo.hello_sensor-CYW920719Q40EVB_01 DEBUG=1 download).

Additionally, we have also reviewed the CYW207x9-JTAG-Debugging.pdf file in the ../sdk/Doc folder (which is referenced in the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 Evaluation Board User Guide) but it seems that the instructions pertain to the CYW920719WCDEVAL board which has a JTAG connector on its J2 socket (as opposed to the CYW920719Q40EVB_01 which has an SWD on its J13 socket).

Needless to say, despite pressing ahead and following the instructions in the CYW207x9-JTAG-Debugging.pdf guide, we have thus far failed to establish any connection to our target board. The following output is from a command line session of the JLinkGDBServerCL process...

D:\Development\Debuggers\Tools\segger\JLink_V622d\JLinkGDBServerCL.exe -select USB -device Unspecified -if SWD -speed 12000 -noir

SEGGER J-Link GDB Server V6.22d Command Line Version

JLinkARM.dll V6.22d (DLL compiled Dec 14 2017 18:32:44)

-----GDB Server start settings-----

GDBInit file:                  none

GDB Server Listening port:     2331

SWO raw output listening port: 2332

Terminal I/O port:             2333

Accept remote connection:      localhost only

Generate logfile:              off

Verify download:               off

Init regs on start:            off

Silent mode:                   off

Single run mode:               off

Target connection timeout:     0 ms

------J-Link related settings------

J-Link Host interface:         USB

J-Link script:                 none

J-Link settings file:          none

------Target related settings------

Target device:                 unspecified

Target interface:              SWD

Target interface speed:        12000kHz

Target endian:                 little

Connecting to J-Link...

J-Link is connected.

Firmware: J-Link EDU Mini V1 compiled Dec 12 2017 16:56:36

Hardware: V1.00

S/N: 80711XXXX

Feature(s): GDB, FlashBP

Checking target voltage...

Target voltage: 3.29 V

Listening on TCP/IP port 2331

Connecting to target...ERROR: Could not connect to target.

Target connection failed. GDBServer will be closed...Restoring target state and closing J-Link connection...

Shutting down...

Could not connect to target.

Please check power, connection and settings.

In short, we would be extremely grateful for debugging guidance that specifically pertains to the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation board at the very least.

Thanks in advance and Regards,

0 Likes
1 Solution
6 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Originally the SWD pins are connected to the p0 and P1 pins pf CYW20719. In CYW920719WCDEVAL board, it is on J2, as you have mentioned.

But in CYW920719Q40EVB, I see from the schematics that it is not on J13. From the attached schematics of CYW920719Q40EVB board, the SWDIO (p0) goes to J4 (6) and SWDCK (p01) goes to J3 (6).

Please connect accordingly.

Regards,

-Madhu

Hello mady

Thank you for your response...However, I'm not sure that it provides us with the required resolution:

Here is our setup:

We have purchased 10 x CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation boards (which have SWD 2 x 5 pin debug ports - ARM 10 pin 1.27mm - @J13) for us to evaluate a potential Bluetooth Mesh solution using Cypress's stack. [We have also purchased a number of NordicSemi nrf52840 devkits (15) to ensure Mesh interoperability of our solution]

Additionally, we are using Segger JLinks which also have SWD (2 x 5 pin - ARM 10 pin 1.27mm) support. Each CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation board is connected to a JLink via it's requisite 10 pin cable and the JLinks are connected to Windows 10 workstations via USB ports. Given the setup I have outlined, our expectation is to be able to use Wiced Studio v6.1 for it to be configured for direct programming and debugging of the Cypress CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation boards via halt-mode debugging over the SWD interface. So what we are looking for is specific documentation and/or step by step guidance from Cypress on how this can be achieved on this particular evaluation board.

As an aside, even though the NordicSemi nrf52840 DevKits come with an on-board JLink, we have been able to utilize them using the setup that I have described above (i.e. via external JLink) without any issues.

I look forward to your feedback so that we can press ahead on developing the Cypress side of our Mesh solution. The value add (I would imagine, from a Cypress perspective) is that this feedback/step-by-step guidance could then be incorporated into the CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation board documentation in the next Wiced Studio v6.x release so that any other users who are new to the Cypress platform take away a much better first impression).

Regards,

Robert Perkins

Hi,

Is it possible to get a response to my query... we're stuck with these 10 x CYW920719Q40EVB-01 evaluation boards and unable to progress any further. Even a simple (if applicable) "we do not support debugging over SWD debug port.. blah, blah, blah" would go a long way towards allowing us a make a decision on whether we pursue the Cypress CY20719 for our Bluetooth Mesh requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Perkins

madymifoCYW920719Q40EVB-01 - How to setup Debugging via external JLink

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Robert,

Sorry there was a confusion in my previous response. The debug pins are in J13 only. I referred to a header file in the SDK that is to be depreciated. Sorry about that.

With what you were already doing, Can you please remove the jumpers on J10? (The PUART TX and PUART TX pins on J10 are muxed with the SWD pins in J13. So removing the jumpers on J10 will avoid trouble in SWD transfer). Let me know if this worked.

I have conveyed your concern about the unavailability of a separate debugging doc for this eval board, to our apps team.

Regards,

-Madhu

Hi Madhu,

Even after removing the jumpers on PUART TX and PUART TX pins on J10, I am still not able to connect via JLink SWD. For confirmation, my setup is:

Windows PC #1 (USB) <---> CYW920719Q40EVB-01 board [J13 - debug port] <---> Cortex-M 10-pin SWD connector <---> JLink <---> Windows PC #1 (USB)

Please advise on how to get this successfully connected.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes