[CYBT-423028] wiced_bt_mesh_create_event returns NULL in WICED Studio v6.2.1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
TiEt_4607661
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

I am trying to create an event to send a Mesh message, but the wiced_bt_mesh_create_event function always seems to return NULL. Does anyone have an idea why this might be or how to fix this?

wiced_bt_mesh_event_t *p_event = wiced_bt_mesh_create_event(

0x0131, // MESH_COMPANY_ID_CYPRESS

0x1000, // WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_SRV

0);

I'm reopening this discussion after a long time of giving up on Mesh on this device, here is the older one. I was advised by DheerajP_41 to set the element_idx to 0(from 0x00) and to check if MESH_COMPANY_ID_CYPRESS and the model ID were defined correctly. I have tried those but wiced_bt_mesh_create_event still only returns NULL. I'm attaching my code where I marked my code with comments(// MY CODE BEGIN and // MY CODE END), the rest is just the mesh_onoff_client from snip/mesh/ in the SDK.

The device(CYBT-423028-02) is in a Mesh network containing another CYBT-423028-02 programmed with the mesh_onoff_server example from 20719-B1_Bluetooth/apps/snip/mesh/. I'm provisioning both devices, then I give the Generic OnOff Server and the Generic OnOff Client models the same app key, set both their publish addresses and subscription addresses to the same group(0xC000) but I also tried setting the publish address of the client to 0xFFFF and the unicast address of the server, it didn't change anything and wiced_bt_mesh_create_event() keeps returning NULL.

In case it's relevant, I'm reading the WICED_BT_TRACE outputs using PuTTY and a USB-UART bridge.

I'm just trying to send a set message from the client to the server and change the onoff state right now to keep things as simple as possible. If I should be using another function or go about this a different way, I would be glad if anyone could help me out. I'm also wondering if anyone else can recreate the issue or not.

0 Likes
1 Solution
TiEt_4607661
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

I was able to send a message which was received by the onoff_server. My client crashes as soon as the message is sent, but I don't know if it's caused by the same thing or if it's a separate issue. I will open a new thread about that.

Instead of calling wiced_bt_mesh_create_event() I'm creating an event myself and filling in all data fields manually. This is the only combination where the server received a message:

wiced_bt_mesh_event_t event;

event.opcode = WICED_BT_MESH_OPCODE_GEN_ONOFF_SET;

event.element_idx = 0;

event.company_id = MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG;

event.model_id = WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_CLNT;

event.dst = 2;

event.ttl = 63; // DEFAULT_TTL

event.credential_flag = 0;

event.retrans_time = 0;

event.retrans_cnt = 0; // DEFAULT_RETRANSMISSION is 0x41

event.src = 0;

event.app_key_idx = 3241;

event.reply = 0;

wiced_bt_mesh_event_t *p_event = &event;

• opcode: WICED_BT_MESH_OPCODE_UNKNOWN -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • company_id: Both devices have the company ID in their mesh configuration: MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG which is defined as 0x0000.
    • company_id set to 0x1234(just a random number), client and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • company_id set to 0xFFFF, client and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • company_id and client mesh config set to 0x1234, server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • company_id and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG, client mesh config set to 0x1234 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs(client mesh config, server mesh config, event company ID) set to 0x1234 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_CYPRESS(defined as 0x0131) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs set to 0xFFFF -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
  • model_id set to WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_SRV -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • dst: the server is provisioned first so it has the unicast address 0x0002. The client gets the unicast address 0x0003. A group is created and selected as current group before provisioning the devices.
    • set to 0xC000(the group address which both devices are provisioned into) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • set to 0 -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • set to 1 -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • set to 3(client's unicast address) -> client receives the message, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • set to 5(unused unicast address) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • src set to 3(client's unicast address) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • app_key_idx: 3241 is the Generic app key which can be found in the .json file created by MeshClient
    • set to 0 -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
  • reply set to 1 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • ttl: in wiced_mesh_api.c, where wiced_bt_mesh_create_event() is defined, DEFAULT_TTL is defined as 63 and DEFAULT_RETRANSMISSION(used for retrans_cnt) is defined as 0x41
  • retrans_cnt set to 0x41-> no message received, client crashes instantly

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DheerajPK_41
750 replies posted 500 likes received 500 replies posted

Hi,

Hi could you please try using the attached latest MeshClient.

Also, please try with

wiced_bt_mesh_create_event(0, MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG, WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_CLNT, 0, 0);

MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG = 0xFFFF

WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_CLNT= 0x1001  (since it is mesh_onoff_client)

Let me know any change in the results.

By the time, I will also try to test it in WICED Studio 6.2 and update you in couple of days.

Thanks,

-Dheeraj

0 Likes
TiEt_4607661
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

I was able to send a message which was received by the onoff_server. My client crashes as soon as the message is sent, but I don't know if it's caused by the same thing or if it's a separate issue. I will open a new thread about that.

Instead of calling wiced_bt_mesh_create_event() I'm creating an event myself and filling in all data fields manually. This is the only combination where the server received a message:

wiced_bt_mesh_event_t event;

event.opcode = WICED_BT_MESH_OPCODE_GEN_ONOFF_SET;

event.element_idx = 0;

event.company_id = MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG;

event.model_id = WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_CLNT;

event.dst = 2;

event.ttl = 63; // DEFAULT_TTL

event.credential_flag = 0;

event.retrans_time = 0;

event.retrans_cnt = 0; // DEFAULT_RETRANSMISSION is 0x41

event.src = 0;

event.app_key_idx = 3241;

event.reply = 0;

wiced_bt_mesh_event_t *p_event = &event;

• opcode: WICED_BT_MESH_OPCODE_UNKNOWN -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • company_id: Both devices have the company ID in their mesh configuration: MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG which is defined as 0x0000.
    • company_id set to 0x1234(just a random number), client and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • company_id set to 0xFFFF, client and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • company_id and client mesh config set to 0x1234, server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • company_id and server mesh config set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_BT_SIG, client mesh config set to 0x1234 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs(client mesh config, server mesh config, event company ID) set to 0x1234 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs set to MESH_COMPANY_ID_CYPRESS(defined as 0x0131) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • All company IDs set to 0xFFFF -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
  • model_id set to WICED_BT_MESH_CORE_MODEL_ID_GENERIC_ONOFF_SRV -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • dst: the server is provisioned first so it has the unicast address 0x0002. The client gets the unicast address 0x0003. A group is created and selected as current group before provisioning the devices.
    • set to 0xC000(the group address which both devices are provisioned into) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
    • set to 1 -> no message received, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • set to 3(client's unicast address) -> client receives the message, client crashes after second transmission attempt
    • set to 5(unused unicast address) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • src set to 3(client's unicast address) -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • app_key_idx: 3241 is the Generic app key which can be found in the .json file created by MeshClient
  • reply set to 1 -> no message received, client crashes instantly
  • ttl: in wiced_mesh_api.c, where wiced_bt_mesh_create_event() is defined, DEFAULT_TTL is defined as 63 and DEFAULT_RETRANSMISSION(used for retrans_cnt) is defined as 0x41
  • retrans_cnt set to 0x41-> no message received, client crashes instantly