CYBT-343026 Performing a Factory Reset with UART-commands

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
BeNa_3696596
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am searching for a command string (hex) which I can send to the CYBT-343026 via serial interface for resetting the module to factory default settings.

We have several module in the field and the Uart-Interface is the only way to get access to the module.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes
1 Solution
Charles_Lai
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi,

I read your posts and I hear you.

Before we begin, I assume that you got the hang of both the Text Mode and Binary Mode of the module when communicate via UART (that's probably the most beautiful thing about EZ-Serial). If not, read the User Guide you mentioned (EZ-Serial WICED Firmware Platform User Guide for CYW2070x-based Module.pdf), specially the contents in chapter 2.3 & 2.4, which would give you the very helpful understanding of it.

Then, all you need is to conduct the Factory Reset procedure. And actually EZ-Serial platform do provide one relevant command to help you easily do this.

See chapter 7.2.2.5, screenshotted below:

pastedImage_0.png

So combine those contents and you will know all you have to do is to send 'C0 00 02 05' in hex or plaintext "/RFAC" with '\r\n' appended then all you can expect is to receive the response indicating system_factory_reset_complete & system_boot and you now have successfully done a System Factory Reset.

In this case, which you prefer hex strings, so binary mode suits you.

Kindly inform you that both Text Mode and Binary Mode use the PUART port and you'd be best have the CTS/RTS pins of PUART connected and configured to ensure you have the flow control (see chapter 2.3 for more details). When you send commands in Text Mode, you get results in Text Mode, and vice versa. And both Text Mode and Binary Mode are not Recovery Mode that we usually talk about (which only has something to do with the HCI UART port).

And thanks BoonT_56​ for giving so much help here. You are the best!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Best regards

C. L.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Pad_3 is an explicit pin for resetting (active low) the module. Does that work for you?

0 Likes

Pad_3 is the normal RESET for the module.

In the EVALUATION-Module CYBT-343026-EVAL you have to pull down the SPI_MOSI signal in conjunction with the Reset-signal.

My problem is that the MOSI signal is not connected because we use the Uart for interfacing the module.

In the document "EZ-Serial WICED Firmware Platform User Guide for CYW2070x-based Module" Chapter 3.1.6 Performing a Factory Reset -> it seems, that there is also a way to reset the module to factory reset state by a software command.

I am searching for a hex-string which I can simply send to the module to do this. Is there a command for this functionality?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Bernhard

0 Likes

I think you are trying to accomplish a "Recovery" in our context. In this scenario, the app will not be loaded onto the ram and the bluetooth controller will load its default rom code. Then I guessed you may want to re-download an app. In order to get here, the spi2_mosi has to be

shorted while a power reset is being carried out. I am not aware there is a sw approach to this.

Charles_Lai
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi,

I read your posts and I hear you.

Before we begin, I assume that you got the hang of both the Text Mode and Binary Mode of the module when communicate via UART (that's probably the most beautiful thing about EZ-Serial). If not, read the User Guide you mentioned (EZ-Serial WICED Firmware Platform User Guide for CYW2070x-based Module.pdf), specially the contents in chapter 2.3 & 2.4, which would give you the very helpful understanding of it.

Then, all you need is to conduct the Factory Reset procedure. And actually EZ-Serial platform do provide one relevant command to help you easily do this.

See chapter 7.2.2.5, screenshotted below:

pastedImage_0.png

So combine those contents and you will know all you have to do is to send 'C0 00 02 05' in hex or plaintext "/RFAC" with '\r\n' appended then all you can expect is to receive the response indicating system_factory_reset_complete & system_boot and you now have successfully done a System Factory Reset.

In this case, which you prefer hex strings, so binary mode suits you.

Kindly inform you that both Text Mode and Binary Mode use the PUART port and you'd be best have the CTS/RTS pins of PUART connected and configured to ensure you have the flow control (see chapter 2.3 for more details). When you send commands in Text Mode, you get results in Text Mode, and vice versa. And both Text Mode and Binary Mode are not Recovery Mode that we usually talk about (which only has something to do with the HCI UART port).

And thanks BoonT_56​ for giving so much help here. You are the best!

Best regards

C. L.

0 Likes