semiconductor BTS3104SDR

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Semi1234_
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

question about overvoltage protection. In datasheet I find no information if the function is latched, or how the overtemperature function work?

Waiting for an good answer 🙂

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @Semi1234_ ,

The BTS3104DR has a thermal restart function by employee a temperature sensor located in the device.

When TJSD reaches the limit value (150℃ min according to the chapter 6.4.1) caused by any fault conditions (such as overload, short-circuit, bad cooling, etc.), the device turns off. 

If the input is still high, then after the measured temperature has dropped below the thermal hysteresis, BTS3104SDR will turn on again. Note that the BTS3104SDR sinks higher current from the IN pin during the protective switch off.

Of course, if you have other IN pin current sense circuitry, you can always turn the BTS3104SDR off just by set the input low.

The thermal protection process is clearly described by figure 12 & 16 in the datasheet, just refer to the Chapter 6.1 & 6.3 & 6.4.

On the other hand, our homepage does have this description "Thermal shutdown with latch behavior", I think this is why causing your confusion, according to the datasheet, the correct thermal protection behavior should be restarted, I'll report to the admin to fix it.

Neo_Qin_0-1670555787809.png

Regarding overvoltage protection, BTS3104SDR is equipped with a voltage clamp mechanism, the min value of Vd(clamp) is 60V, this integrated protection function can effectively reduce the number of components, as well as your cost. Note that the energy that clamp by BTS3104SDR is limited, more detail please refer to Chapter 6.2 & 6.4 of the datasheet.

If you have any concerns, kindly let me know.

Regards,

Neo

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Neo_Qin
5 likes given 250 replies posted 250 sign-ins

Hi @Semi1234_ ,

The BTS3104DR has a thermal restart function by employee a temperature sensor located in the device.

When TJSD reaches the limit value (150℃ min according to the chapter 6.4.1) caused by any fault conditions (such as overload, short-circuit, bad cooling, etc.), the device turns off. 

If the input is still high, then after the measured temperature has dropped below the thermal hysteresis, BTS3104SDR will turn on again. Note that the BTS3104SDR sinks higher current from the IN pin during the protective switch off.

Of course, if you have other IN pin current sense circuitry, you can always turn the BTS3104SDR off just by set the input low.

The thermal protection process is clearly described by figure 12 & 16 in the datasheet, just refer to the Chapter 6.1 & 6.3 & 6.4.

On the other hand, our homepage does have this description "Thermal shutdown with latch behavior", I think this is why causing your confusion, according to the datasheet, the correct thermal protection behavior should be restarted, I'll report to the admin to fix it.

Neo_Qin_0-1670555787809.png

Regarding overvoltage protection, BTS3104SDR is equipped with a voltage clamp mechanism, the min value of Vd(clamp) is 60V, this integrated protection function can effectively reduce the number of components, as well as your cost. Note that the energy that clamp by BTS3104SDR is limited, more detail please refer to Chapter 6.2 & 6.4 of the datasheet.

If you have any concerns, kindly let me know.

Regards,

Neo

0 Likes