faster slew rate for BTS7008-1EPA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ElecCheng
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi Expert,

For 8m ohm high side switch, I see you have BTS7008-1EPP and BTS7008-1EPA. After comparing the d/s, I see the main difference is the slew rate. EPA has faster slew rate. From my understanding, faster slew rate has less switching power loss but worse EMC performance. My concern is how to balance these two conditions? Do you see some EMC issue with slower slew rate, like BTS7008-1EPA, so you have another device with slower one? Do you have EMC test report with BTS7008-1EPP and BTS7008-1EPA?

Thank you so much for help!

BR,

CHENG

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hi CHENG,

Yes, your understanding is correct.
Apart from slew rate, there are some other differences also. BTS7008-EP"A" is basic version the device and BTS7008-2EP"P" is Power version designed forthe device.

Differences:

• Target application
    • BTS7008-1EPP = heating and power distribution
    • BTS7008-1EPA = Lighting (65W bulb) and body application
  • Slew Rate:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: slower switching slope for less EME (typ. 0.27V/us)
    • BTS7008-1EPA: faster switching slope for lesser Switching loss (typ. 0.6V/us)
  • Overcurrent shutdown threshold:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: lower threshold for higher short circuit robustness and less system disturbance (I~L(OVL)_typ_25~ = 77.5A)
    • BTS7008-1EPA: higher threshold for increasing load driving capability of inrush loads ( I~L(OVL)_typ_25~ = 88A)
  • Restart Strategy:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: single latch device. Every short-circuit / overtemperature shutdown is latched, for less stress on the system and better control of a variable load.
    • BTS7008-1EPA: intelligent restart control enables 7 tries of switching on a load before latching.

Best Regards,
      Anshika

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anshika_G

Hi CHENG,

Yes, your understanding is correct.
Apart from slew rate, there are some other differences also. BTS7008-EP"A" is basic version the device and BTS7008-2EP"P" is Power version designed forthe device.

Differences:

• Target application
    • BTS7008-1EPP = heating and power distribution
    • BTS7008-1EPA = Lighting (65W bulb) and body application
  • Slew Rate:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: slower switching slope for less EME (typ. 0.27V/us)
    • BTS7008-1EPA: faster switching slope for lesser Switching loss (typ. 0.6V/us)
  • Overcurrent shutdown threshold:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: lower threshold for higher short circuit robustness and less system disturbance (I~L(OVL)_typ_25~ = 77.5A)
    • BTS7008-1EPA: higher threshold for increasing load driving capability of inrush loads ( I~L(OVL)_typ_25~ = 88A)
  • Restart Strategy:
    • BTS7008-1EPP: single latch device. Every short-circuit / overtemperature shutdown is latched, for less stress on the system and better control of a variable load.
    • BTS7008-1EPA: intelligent restart control enables 7 tries of switching on a load before latching.

Best Regards,
      Anshika
ElecCheng
Level 2
Level 2
10 sign-ins 5 questions asked 10 replies posted

Hi Anshika,

When you mention EME, do you refer to Electro-magnetic emission? 

While designing, is there any risk for EMC with BTS7008-1EPA? Thanks.

BR,

CHENG

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

Yes, EME stands for Electro Magnetic Emission.

We cannot guarantee, but some suggestions to consider for avoiding EMC issues:
1. Follow the application diagram given in the datasheet for designing of external components.
2. RGND,CVS,COUT connections should be present, do not avoid.
3. RIN and RDEN as close to the IN and DEN pin respectively as possible.

Best Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes