I can't seem to find an alternative to the VN920B5-E or VN920-E MOSFETs.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Arnaud1
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of redesigning my PCB and I can't seem to find an alternative to the VN920B5-E or VN920-E MOSFETs. It's a product made by STMicroelectronics, it has 5 pins.  I need it to to have similar capabilities and a low price tag. I only need a few for a minimal build. I am currently looking at the Smart High-Side Power Switch BTS452T, could you let me know if that would be a suitable replacement, if not , what would be?

Thank for taking the time to read, I'd be glad if you could help me solve this query.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

The difference between automotive grade and industrial grade depends on application in the which the component is going to be used. 

Industrial grade electronics have temperature range of up to 85-degree Celsius while automotive ones have up to 125 degrees Celsius.
Also, automotive grade electronics have gone through under more testing conditions than industrial grade ones. And that is why the cost is cheaper for industrial grade electronics in comparison with automotive.

Can you tell me what is your end application?
The customer is working on a project for traffic control signs, handling hundreds of LEDs.
>>The ITS428L2 IC will work as long as the maximum ratings are not violated. 

If it is going to be used in any vehicle, then recommendation is to use components that are automotive qualified. If the main criteria are of cost only, then Industrial grade will also work but not recommended.

To give you a little more overview:
Industrial application may include Industrial AutomationProgrammable Logic Controllers (PLC)Digital I/O modulesBuilding & home managementSolar ApplicationsWind energy systemsMotor control and drivesPower supplies

Attaching you the link to know more about automotive applications:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Automotive-Application-Guide-2021-ApplicationBrochure-v02_00-...

BR,
Anshika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Anshika_G

Hello,

BTS452T is a 5-pin switch, has higher Rdson and lower output current as compared to VN920B5-E.  If it is okay for your application, then it can be used.
You can also have a look at following part numbers with more similar specifications:
1. BTS443P 
2.BTS6143D

Best Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes

Hi, 

I've been looking at the ITS428L2 MOSFET and I am not too sure if this would be a better replacement to those FETs. I'd appreciate your insight. Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

ITS428L2 is an industrial smart power switch. It is not AEC (automotive) qualified. 

BR,
Anshika

0 Likes

I am not quite sure what the would mean, I'm really sorry for my lack knowledge. Is it not practical for switching LED flashers. My project is about turning LED's ON and OFF. I will also be applying dimming to the LED's through PWM.

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

The difference between automotive grade and industrial grade depends on application in the which the component is going to be used. 

Industrial grade electronics have temperature range of up to 85-degree Celsius while automotive ones have up to 125 degrees Celsius.
Also, automotive grade electronics have gone through under more testing conditions than industrial grade ones. And that is why the cost is cheaper for industrial grade electronics in comparison with automotive.

Can you tell me what is your end application?
The customer is working on a project for traffic control signs, handling hundreds of LEDs.
>>The ITS428L2 IC will work as long as the maximum ratings are not violated. 

If it is going to be used in any vehicle, then recommendation is to use components that are automotive qualified. If the main criteria are of cost only, then Industrial grade will also work but not recommended.

To give you a little more overview:
Industrial application may include Industrial AutomationProgrammable Logic Controllers (PLC)Digital I/O modulesBuilding & home managementSolar ApplicationsWind energy systemsMotor control and drivesPower supplies

Attaching you the link to know more about automotive applications:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Automotive-Application-Guide-2021-ApplicationBrochure-v02_00-...

BR,
Anshika

0 Likes
Arnaud1
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

Sorry for late reply, the message wasn't sent through. 

I'm working on a project for traffic control signs. I need to know they would be ideal for handling hundreds of LEDs.

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

Yes, the ITS428L2 IC will work as long as the maximum ratings are not violated. 

BR,
Anshika

0 Likes