BTT3050EJ Short Circuit to Battery

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AleksandrM
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

Hi all!
I must properly protect the BTT3050EJ output from a short circuit to battery (36V). https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-BTT3050EJ-DataSheet-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7e7124d1017f... I didn't find an explicit clarification about the response time of the current protection. Should I use an inductor to delay the rise of the current so that the built-in protection has time to operate? What time to choose to calculate the inductance of the inductor?

AleksandrM_0-1664203499836.png

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

BTT3050EJ provides an overcurrent limitation intended to protect against short circuit or overcurrent conditions.
There seems to be no need to add an inductor to delay the current.
In the event of short-circuit or overcurrent , two sequences of protection comes intro picture:
1. When the drain current reaches the current limitation level IL(LIM), the device will limit the current at that level. But while doing so, the power dissipation will heat up the device.

2. If the device exceeds the set temperature, i.e., overtemperature threshold ,the device is placed in a standby state to shut off the output and prevent the output from being damaged by the thermal shutdown function.  

We have not provided the response time as it it mainly dependent on temperature rise(which  in turns depends on the board, cooling conditions, load and may vary as per application) .  The STATUS pin delay time for overtemperature shutdown is ~4.5 microseconds at VDD= 5V.

Best Regards,
Anshika

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

BTT3050EJ provides an overcurrent limitation intended to protect against short circuit or overcurrent conditions.
There seems to be no need to add an inductor to delay the current.
In the event of short-circuit or overcurrent , two sequences of protection comes intro picture:
1. When the drain current reaches the current limitation level IL(LIM), the device will limit the current at that level. But while doing so, the power dissipation will heat up the device.

2. If the device exceeds the set temperature, i.e., overtemperature threshold ,the device is placed in a standby state to shut off the output and prevent the output from being damaged by the thermal shutdown function.  

We have not provided the response time as it it mainly dependent on temperature rise(which  in turns depends on the board, cooling conditions, load and may vary as per application) .  The STATUS pin delay time for overtemperature shutdown is ~4.5 microseconds at VDD= 5V.

Best Regards,
Anshika

Hi Anshika!

Thank you!

0 Likes