BTS7200-4EPA IS SENSE output x

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
samcs
Level 1
Level 1
50 sign-ins 5 likes given 10 questions asked

Hi community, 

I read the BTS7200-4EPA data sheet, Table 19 < Diagnostic Truth Table> 

so , DEN = High, DSEL0/1 = 00, IS = SENSE output 0.

Does that mean the value of at pin IS is equivalent to the voltage value at pin Out0?

It will not affect the voltage value at pin Out0.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
Xiangrui
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hi,

Thanks to Michu. You can refer to his answer: 

"IS pin is current output, that means system will provide a  current proportional to the load current (9.2. Datasheet BTS7200-4EPA). Going on, there is Rsense  that should be connected between this pin and GND, so using Ohm's Law we can read Voltage on ADC on this resistor."

It's quite correct. IS will output different channels by giving corresponding combination of DSEL0/1, like 00,01,10 and 11.

And for his question, how to protect 5V ADC.

The optional circuit in application example can be used.

Xiangrui_0-1679900114413.png

A TVS diode can clamp the overvoltage to protect the ADC. It's not recommended to use divided resistor, because it affects the accuracy of the current sense.

Xiangrui_1-1679900274681.png

Best regards,

Xiangrui

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Michu
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I want to use similar IC in my project and as I understood, IS pin is current output, that means system will provide a  current proportional to the load current (9.2. Datasheet BTS7200-4EPA). Going on, there is Rsense  that should be connected between this pin and GND, so using Ohm's Law we can read Voltage on ADC on this resistor.

This is just how I understand this, I hope someone from Infineone will confirm it.

One thing I'm wondering is that voltage drop on this Rsense can be equal to the Vs (Power Supply), and I need to read it by microcontroller which ADC is limited to 5 V. I think, that I can use voltage divider but I'm not sure and looking for someone to confirm that.

Greetings

0 Likes
Xiangrui
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hi,

Thanks to Michu. You can refer to his answer: 

"IS pin is current output, that means system will provide a  current proportional to the load current (9.2. Datasheet BTS7200-4EPA). Going on, there is Rsense  that should be connected between this pin and GND, so using Ohm's Law we can read Voltage on ADC on this resistor."

It's quite correct. IS will output different channels by giving corresponding combination of DSEL0/1, like 00,01,10 and 11.

And for his question, how to protect 5V ADC.

The optional circuit in application example can be used.

Xiangrui_0-1679900114413.png

A TVS diode can clamp the overvoltage to protect the ADC. It's not recommended to use divided resistor, because it affects the accuracy of the current sense.

Xiangrui_1-1679900274681.png

Best regards,

Xiangrui

0 Likes