BTS7200-2PEA inrush current

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
xiaohu6132
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First like given First question asked

1:i had found in the datasheet of BTS7200-2PEA, don't find that the inrush current description, So i want to know how i can know the inrush current that could be support by this chip ,  And how long time of the inrush current   

2: Another question,  i saw that BTS7200-2PEA, for the datasheet, There max Inom=1.2A,  So if i worked with 1.5A, How about the impact on the chip

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anshika_G
First question asked 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello @xiaohu6132 ,

1. To know what is current of the BTS7200-2EPA,please refer to the below images .

Infineon does not provide the exact value of the inrush current in the datasheet but make sure your device is    safe.  The minimum overload current specified for the particular product shall be higher than the maximum inrush current.

G_Anshika_1-1660207792368.png

The below image is taken from datasheet page 40,Table 17.

G_Anshika_0-1660207706767.png

It provides the value of overload detection current at different temperatures.  For the time that inrush current remains depends on the capacitive loads that you are using your application. 
                                                                          Iinrush = C *(dv/dt)

2. If you intend to use the current value greater than 1.2 A for a long period of time, as you can see in the block diagram of BTS7200,load current value will get sensed and the device will go in overcurrent protection mode.

Annotation 2022-08-11 143623.png

Thanks and Regards,
Anshika

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Anshika_G

Hello @xiaohu6132 ,

1. To know what is current of the BTS7200-2EPA,please refer to the below images .

Infineon does not provide the exact value of the inrush current in the datasheet but make sure your device is    safe.  The minimum overload current specified for the particular product shall be higher than the maximum inrush current.

G_Anshika_1-1660207792368.png

The below image is taken from datasheet page 40,Table 17.

G_Anshika_0-1660207706767.png

It provides the value of overload detection current at different temperatures.  For the time that inrush current remains depends on the capacitive loads that you are using your application. 
                                                                          Iinrush = C *(dv/dt)

2. If you intend to use the current value greater than 1.2 A for a long period of time, as you can see in the block diagram of BTS7200,load current value will get sensed and the device will go in overcurrent protection mode.

Annotation 2022-08-11 143623.png

Thanks and Regards,
Anshika

Hi  Anshika,

Thanks for your answer, For point 2, you said load current sense will sensed the current and will go to the overcurrent mode, From my understanding, if the chip go to the overcurrent mode, I think the load current should be more than the current that defined for overload, But current the load current is 1.5A,it is much small than the over load current,  in this case, I don't understand why will go to overcurrent mode?

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hello,

For more clear answer, can you please let me know the following details:
1. How many channels will you be using in the application  and their power ratings?
2. If the current values are AC or DC (e.g. constant 1.5A at CH0 and constant 1A at CH1 or if the 1.5A only visible for 2 sec)?
3. Ambient temperature                                                                                                                                         

We will try to simulate the device as per your parameters and can come with a better solution.

Also, your reasoning is correct. The device won't go to overcurrent but since we are operating the device at value greater than nominal value, power losses will be increased. Because of these increased losses, heat dissipation will be more which will lead to rise in temperature. 

More current > More power loss> More heat dissipation> Increase in temperature> Overtemperature Protection

I am sorry for the confusion on my side.

Thanks and Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes

hello Anshika,

sorry for feedback late

1. How many channels will you be using in the application  and their power ratings?

Currently we used 2 channel,  with 1.2 A each channel 

2. If the current values are AC or DC (e.g. constant 1.5A at CH0 and constant 1A at CH1 or if the 1.5A only visible for 2 sec)?

it is DC output, But max current at 16V could reach to 1.5A for about 1hour

3. Ambient temperature 

85 degree

4: another question, As there is no inrush currently value, Currently there is input to us  for  inrush 3A for 1ms,  From my side ,It is ok for the device , Want to confirm with you again.

Thanks very much

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Anshika_G

Hi @xiaohu6132 ,

Apologies for late reply.

By looking at parameters, May I know why are you going for BTS7200-2EPA ? Is there any particular reason?
I have created one list of devices which can easily support 1.5 A as load current. Out of them, BTS7120-2EPA is the closest solution to BTS7200 and offers 2 A as nominal Load current value ,avoiding any protection feature getting activated while operating at 1.5 A.

For the fourth part :  Yes, it will be okay for the device.

Best Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes
Anshika_G

Hi @xiaohu6132 ,

We have performed the simulation based on the parameters specified by you, the device is working fine at 1.5 A for an hour. It is not crossing the junction temperature limit. And not going into overtemperature protection mode.

Please also note we advise our customers to use the device as per values prescribed in the datasheet for best results and safety of the product. 

Best Regards,
Anshika

0 Likes
Anshika_G
0 Likes