tiny and free HCI protocol stack

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys

i'm new in BLE, i pretend to connect via BLE temperature tags to a phone app.

the device is based on an STM32 mcu and the wiced BCM20737S SOC, both connected thorugh HCI uart, does anybody know if there is a free and small footprint HCI uart protocol stack so i can do the following functions:

- being discovered from APP.

- transfer data from my interna event log.

- keep as much as posible lowest consumption.

Regards

Joan

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

For our WICED Smart BCM2073X solution, the entire certified stack is embedded in ROM and we do not provide a means for direct HCI level access other than what is possible using the MBT tools provided in SDK 2.x (these are more aimed at passing regulatory).

Note that the HCI UART is for programming the device only (either using the SDK or command line tools that are referenced throughout the website), so the PUART is the correct one to attach to an external MCU.

For a beginner with BLE trying to build a simple application like the one described, the Anaren Atmosphere or ACKme Networks Development kits would be better suited for a task like this one and you could have a working prototype by the end of the week.  The Broadcom SDK has a much higher barrier to entry and is normally better suited for users with 5-7 years of embedded development experience.

david_armour

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

For our WICED Smart BCM2073X solution, the entire certified stack is embedded in ROM and we do not provide a means for direct HCI level access other than what is possible using the MBT tools provided in SDK 2.x (these are more aimed at passing regulatory).

Note that the HCI UART is for programming the device only (either using the SDK or command line tools that are referenced throughout the website), so the PUART is the correct one to attach to an external MCU.

For a beginner with BLE trying to build a simple application like the one described, the Anaren Atmosphere or ACKme Networks Development kits would be better suited for a task like this one and you could have a working prototype by the end of the week.  The Broadcom SDK has a much higher barrier to entry and is normally better suited for users with 5-7 years of embedded development experience.

david_armour

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you David

the distributor that sold me, also didn't know about this..., so i must design the board again.

of course i'll choose a module with a kind of PUART protocol already programmed or at least complete HCI protocol. what i don't want to do is to develop inside the SOC, note i've got years of experience with cortex and many mcu's but never used BLE.

Regards

0 Likes

If you have alot of development experience on MCUs and embedded C, then the learning curve should not be too bad as most of our customers fit this profile. Note that there is alot of good information on the two UARTs in the WICED™ Smart Hardware Interfaces document.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you again

but as usual, i must do this project in very short time ( now facing board  redesing as we have nothing to do with only HCI uart to our host processor) , so i don't have time to loose making the application in this or any other SOC, a module with pre-loaded PUART or similar protocol is my only option, maybe in the future i can choose it!

Regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joan,

If your time schedules are very tight then please do take a look at the Anaren and AckMe modules.   These modules allow you either to quickly develop your application or to use on of the supplied applications such as the serial uart control software.

Regards

David

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again david_armour

i've received some anarem modules, and i'm going to check them, but is there any chance for:

- Have the PUART application source / project and compile it with WICED dev kit.

- To change source code, to use the HCI uart instead of peripheral uart once in application mode.

Regards

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joan,

Please take a look at the WICED Smart SDK for the puart code (SDK/include/drivers/puart.h).    If you wish to have source code for the anaren hardware then please post the request in the Anaren section of the site.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the idea behind is that if it is posible to take PUART source code,  change to use HCI_UART instead of peripheral uart, then recompile and flash the devices, so i can reuse the already BCM20737S solded modules in my board.( up to 20 boards )

if not i'll have to put an adaption board using ANAREN modules, but i prefer to check if first option is still posible.

Regards

0 Likes

Check with Anaren before you spend time porting the PUART code over to attempt to support the HCI UART.

The HCI UART can only be programmed via the Command Line Tools or SDK at the present time; first time programming MUST always occur over the HCI UART as well.  There are many threads on this topic.

I believe however that Anaren has devised a means to program their modules using a more tradition pogo pin approach.

anarennavigator mgrazier@comcast.net mdani

0 Likes

For Anaren support, you can post questions to their support site here: Anaren Atmosphere

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joan,

Please send your request with your questions concerning the HCI UART to atmosphere@anaren.com so that we can assist you better.

-MD

0 Likes