send and receive non-connectable advertisement while it is connected

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

From this thread

Connectable vs. nonconnectable Advertisements.

A slave device(A) can broadcast non-connectable advertisement while it is connected to a master device(C).

If I have other slave device(B) that is also connected to the same master device(C), ...

• can slave device(B) receive that advertisement from device(A)?
  • can master device(C) receive that advertisement from device(A)?
  • Is there any sample code for this task?

Can the master device(C) broadcast non-connectable advertisement while it is connected to the slave devices(A&B)?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've implemented them all with Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview as the master and WICED Senses as slaves.

And I can confirm that they are all possible as JT said.

Note that Windows 10 are necessary for master to manage advertisement(to broadcast and scan) since the "Windows.Devices.Bluetooth.advertisement" namespace will be available on Windows 10 universal app only.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello prayook,

1.  The scenarios that you present are possible

2.  Please review the BLE Spec 4.2 for more clarity.

3.  We have several examples in our SDK:

• Please download our SDK at this link: WICED Smart Documents & Downloads
  • Here are the examples that you may be interested in for your use case
  • pastedImage_3.png
  • hello_client for Master
  • hello_sensor for Slave
  • mybeacon for Advertisements.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply.

Are these also available on BLE 4.1?

From my understanding.

For slave device (BCM20736S),

• I can use blecm_RegleAdvReportCb() to register a function to receive any non-connectable advertisement.
  • I can use bleprofile_notifyAdvPacketTransmissions() to register a function to modify the advertising content before advertisement event.

For master device (Windows 8 PC with Bluetooth 4.0 dongle),

• I try to search in Windows peeraps like HelloClient but I cannot find any part related to non-connectable advertisement. I still don't know how to send and receive it on Windows.
  • Where can I find the documents for the library used in the sample code?
0 Likes

prayook

You can use a Android phone app like WICED Smart Explorer available on Play Store. It will have a better user experience.

0 Likes

Yes, J.T meant to say BT 4.1 as our part does not support BT 4.2.  Typo.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've implemented them all with Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview as the master and WICED Senses as slaves.

And I can confirm that they are all possible as JT said.

Note that Windows 10 are necessary for master to manage advertisement(to broadcast and scan) since the "Windows.Devices.Bluetooth.advertisement" namespace will be available on Windows 10 universal app only.

Thanks,