indication / notification on multiple characteristics

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a device which has multiple characteristics exposed via GATT. Now, we have some of them where the user should be able to wait for indications or notifications. As from the examples and the code generated from the wizard, we learned, that a indication is acknowledged by the peer and until the acknowledgment is received, no other indication is sent. Is this only valid for each characteristic or are all indications paused until the acknowledgement is received?

As we have multiple characteristics which are updated by the device at the same time and the probability that some of them change the value at the same time, we would like to ensure the peer receives not only the first indication. If possible, we would send out the updates at the same time without waiting for the acknowledgement of the first characteristic.

Is this possible at all?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

it is possible with notifications for now. We were just wondering if it is better with indications, as the framework offers this and gives a warranty that the content is received. But If we have to organize around the protocol, it is probably not our preferred solution.

(Our App developers also prefer notifications, so, I think we will select that)

Thanks you,

M.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
JacobT_81
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Are you unable to use notifications for this? No application level ACK is required so there won't be any possibility of holding up other notifications.

If you must use indications, I can look into this further.

Jacob

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

it is possible with notifications for now. We were just wondering if it is better with indications, as the framework offers this and gives a warranty that the content is received. But If we have to organize around the protocol, it is probably not our preferred solution.

(Our App developers also prefer notifications, so, I think we will select that)

Thanks you,

M.

0 Likes