iBeacon Reference Design

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm checking the iBeacon reference board and relalize that the board is using BCM20737.

As I know iBeacon is pretty simple application and BCM20732 should be work well.

Any idea on chip selection?

Thanks,

Benson

0 Likes
1 Solution

As it turns out, the two iBeacon samples included within SDK 2.X depend on a patch/library that will only work on the BCM20736/7 (A1 Firmware, SDK 2.X support).

We are not including the patch within the SDK release (application source will be there) because we need to also make sure that we give the library to MFI licensees only. 

We are working on a process to verify MFI licensees now and the code will most likely be distributed on a seperate MFI website that is accessible via invite only.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
17 Replies
ShawnA_01
Employee
Employee
10 questions asked 5 comments on KBA First comment on KBA

The 20732 is not supported in the newer SDK.  I'm not certain, but very confident you will need to use the newer device, just to get access to the SDK that supports iBeacon.

0 Likes

Correct.  The iBeacon is supported within SDK 2.0.1, which requires the BCM20736/37.

The application should work on the 20732, but this would require iBeacon support within SDK 1.1

0 Likes

What does iBeacon support in the SDK actually mean?  If a user is looking to create an iBeacon using a BCM20732, isn't setting up the appropriate advertising header data all that's required?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the problem is that iBeacon feature in only available in newer SDK and newer one only supports BCM20736/BMC20737.

I think it can be used for BCM20732 from H/W perspective. Am I correct?

0 Likes

As it turns out, the two iBeacon samples included within SDK 2.X depend on a patch/library that will only work on the BCM20736/7 (A1 Firmware, SDK 2.X support).

We are not including the patch within the SDK release (application source will be there) because we need to also make sure that we give the library to MFI licensees only. 

We are working on a process to verify MFI licensees now and the code will most likely be distributed on a seperate MFI website that is accessible via invite only.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the sample code inside the SDK 2.x cannot work, right(since no patch/library)?

0 Likes

The samples provided within the SDK are functional once the patch is applied which requires a valid MFI license.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I send my MFI license info to get access to the patch/library?

0 Likes

Send a private message to the user j.t which includes your MFi license number.  He will then validate against the Apple DB and add you to the Apple iBeacon Licensee Site which includes both the patch and instructions.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple MFI program FAQ says that

Accessories which connect to an Apple device using only Bluetooth Low Energy/BTLE/Bluetooth 4.0 or standard Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS are not part of the MFi Program.

Can you please elaborate why do I need to have a MFI license to get the patch?

0 Likes

Dear mwf_mmfae,

hello,

as you mentioned, I've sent a private message to j.t. with our MFi number last Friday.

I want to get it by this Thursday, so could you please confirm if this answer "send a private message to j.t." is the latest solution that is still working.

Best,

Takahsi    

0 Likes

I will ask j.t to respond to this thread.

0 Likes

Dear mwf_mmfae

thank you so much for your help.

If there's no problem I want to obtain the .a by this Thursday.

Best.

Takashi

2015年11月2日月曜日、mwf_mmfae<communities-list@community.broadcom.com

<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','communities-list@community.broadcom.com');>

>さんは書きました:

<https://community.broadcom.com/?et=watches.email.thread> iBeacon

Reference Design

reply from mwf_mmfae

<https://community.broadcom.com/people/mwf_mmfae?et=watches.email.thread>

in WICED Bluetooth Forums - View the full discussion

<https://community.broadcom.com/message/20890?et=watches.email.thread#20890>

0 Likes

pukaso

Please respond to the PM that j.t sent you which asks for your iBeacon license number.

This is a specific license.  I think you provided a MFi license number to him prior.

0 Likes

Dear mwf_mmfae

hello, and sorry for bothered you but I had not understood that I need another specific iBeacon License, and this time I needed this just for demonstration of wiced-smart-sdk in our company, so I'll use other samples for demonstration.

Best,

Takashi

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anaren also has a tiny reference design based on our A20737 module that could be used for iBeacon operation.  Please see our web page for more information:  https://atmosphere.anaren.com/wiki/index.php/Tiny_Reference_Design

This could save you some design work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Geof ... that's my plan!