What's the best way to stream ~5kbits/s (max) data?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody done this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Broadcom BTW is our Bluetooth Stack for Windows 7.

Bluetooth® Communications Software for Windows® - BCM1000-BTW | Broadcom

You will essentially need a Broadcom BCM20702 based dongle attached to the PC that you are using for development.  Asus and Plugable are two vendors of these, but there are many more in addition to these two.

Note that these vendors also supply drivers with their dongle, which are BTW based. When you install any of these drivers for the dongle, make sure the internal Bluetooth Radio on your laptop is disable or the install process will fail.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
14 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I believe you should be able to leverage the speed_test application for this testing.

Re: Maximum BLE throughput for reliable data transfer

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads up.

When I try to start the speed test app I get an error message:

"Broadcom Blueototh profile pack for Windows (BTW) has to be installed"

Where can I find that?

0 Likes

Broadcom BTW is our Bluetooth Stack for Windows 7.

Bluetooth® Communications Software for Windows® - BCM1000-BTW | Broadcom

You will essentially need a Broadcom BCM20702 based dongle attached to the PC that you are using for development.  Asus and Plugable are two vendors of these, but there are many more in addition to these two.

Note that these vendors also supply drivers with their dongle, which are BTW based. When you install any of these drivers for the dongle, make sure the internal Bluetooth Radio on your laptop is disable or the install process will fail.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will the drivers that came on the CD with my BCM20702 dongle work with the speed test app?

0 Likes

The Windows Peerapp which is in the same directory as speed_test most likely requires the BTW Broadcom drivers based on the error message you saw previously.  This means that in order to use that application, you need a BCM20702 based dongle that uses the BTW drivers.  Asus and Plugable both make these dongles, as do others.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am using a LM Technologies BTLE dongle that uses the BCM20702 & have installed the accompanying BTW drivers but am still getting the BTW driver error when ever I try to start the speed test software.

Is there any way to verify correct BTW installation?

0 Likes

Not sure how to verify correct driver installation.

I will need to ask one of the developers for their input.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

sweet, thanks.

In case it's relevant I'm on Windows 7.

0 Likes

I've asked the development team to respond.

At this point, when you install the drivers provided with the LM Technologies LM506 dongle, are you also going into Windows Device manager and confirming that the device is enumerating correctly on the USB bus?

From the Start Menu on your Windows machine, select Computer->System Properties->Device Manager

When you unplug, then replug the dongle in with the drivers installed, you should see the diplay refresh and the new device appear.

In addition, can you verify the following:

1. That the dongle is indeed a BCM20702 based dongle.  We have dozens of third parties that make these dongles, so I do not keep track of all of them.  In addition, the third party normally supports the dongle they provide as well.

2. Do you have another bluetooth radio running on your laptop/PC?  If so, this could be causing problems for the speed_test application.

3. Have you confirmed the dongle works with other BT devices, like a mouse or keyboard?

Nobody has ever reported an issue like this related to speed_test, so I'm thinking one of these items is what's causing the issue.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. That the dongle is indeed a BCM20702 based dongle

Yup, shows up enumerated ok in device manager as "Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device"

2. Do you have another bluetooth radio running on your laptop/PC?  If so, this could be causing problems for the speed_test application.

Yup. However I have disabled it in the device manager to prevent conflict.

3. Have you confirmed the dongle works with other BT devices, like a mouse or keyboard?

Yup, using the dongle in question I can connect to a phone.

0 Likes

Thanks for confirming.

miltmiller victorz

0 Likes

Another question.  Are you running the 64 bit version of Windows 7?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

yup, am indeed

0 Likes

We tested this internally on 64b Windows 7 and are struggling to recreate the problem.

What's being recommended by the internal test team is the following:

If any internal radios exist, disable them and uninstall the stack/BT Software you have already installed. After the vendor provided SW is installed, plugin their external version 4.0 compliant dongle and make sure it is detected within the Windows device manager as a Generic Bluetooth device. If it is detected as any other, right click on it and click on uninstall. If scan for hardware changes is triggered then, it should be detected as Generic BT according to the team.

Note that within the SDK, under the speed_test folder, there are TWO separate client applications for 32 and 64 bit Windows platforms. The one in x86 folder is related to the 32 bit platform. You want to use the other for testing as using the 32 bit version on a 64 bit machine will cause problems similar to what you are seeing.

Make sure the dongle is paired with Windows BT on the PC prior to launching the 64 bit version of the speed_test application. Note here that when the BT on PC side is paired with speed_test server, it will be shown in the paired devices list. Also, that the paired device BD address will be available in the device list of the SpeedTest.exe UI. Pairing can be done using ‘Add Device’ option from within Windows.

abhishek.ravuri

0 Likes