What exactly is LE audio ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found out that 20737 supports LE audio. Can you please elaborate this ?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Madmax

The Broadcom LE Audio supports low quality audio ranging from 8 - 32kbit.

The intended use is for internet of things, toys, appliances that do not need to produce high quality audio.

Broadcom is working on an LE Audio Reference design and will update this post when it is available.

the reference design will support A/D capture on the front end and an audio DAC on the back in.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thank you

JT

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Madmax

The Broadcom LE Audio supports low quality audio ranging from 8 - 32kbit.

The intended use is for internet of things, toys, appliances that do not need to produce high quality audio.

Broadcom is working on an LE Audio Reference design and will update this post when it is available.

the reference design will support A/D capture on the front end and an audio DAC on the back in.

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thank you

JT

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it does. Thank you.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just ordered ‘TAG3’/BCM92073x_LE_KIT from Avnet. How would I play and replay LEA using these boards?

Thanks,

0 Likes

LE Audio is planned to be included within a point release of SDK 2.x sometime near the last quarter of this year.

There is also a LE Audio demo planned for release sometime in July-August (as alluded to above).

0 Likes

Update 9/29/14: Found out today that BLE Audio has been pushed out and will no longer be included as part of the SDK 2.2 release. We do not have an ETA on when this feature will be released.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

any news on when/if BLE Audio will be supported?

0 Likes

Unfortunately, we are unable to project when LE Audio will be included as part of the SDK.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As JT said, it's still under working I think.

I hope it will be posted soon.

By the way, does LE Audio require special hardware?

Does it run on a BCM92073X_LE_KIT board?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

LEA requires Codec on your system to encode/decode the audio signal at a desired sampling frequency. If you are using a DSP, most likely that would have built in Codecs or HW accelerators. If not, you can always implement them in SW such as MPEG-4 AAC ELC etc.

Kulbir

Anonymous
Not applicable

BLE does not have any audio profile. AD2P as known from standard BT is not support (needs approx. 4... Mbps)

Reason is obvious: theoretical maximum is 1 Mbps on BLE, not enough for voice and audio.

Maybe there are protocol implementations, based on L2CAP, for high compressed but very low quality voice, but BLE does not have any headset feature (profile).

BLE (BT Low Energy) is not BT.

Wikipedia says "voice capable : No":

Bluetooth low energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this White Paper says clearly "It is not possible to transfer audio data over Bluetooth low energy." (page 😎

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAC&url=http...

0 Likes

LE Audio supports low quality audio ranging from 8 - 32kbit.

The demand for this feature has been much lower than expected.

0 Likes

Update: Made corrections in thread.

LE Audio supports low quality audio ranging from 8 - 32kbit.

j.t david_armour

0 Likes