SPIFFY2 and Peripheral UART pin selection

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
legic_1490776
Level 5
Level 5
25 likes received 10 likes received First like received

I am trying to see if I can get peripheral UART running using P32 for TX and P2 for RX on the 20736. I noticed in Application Note BCM920732HW (Wiced Smart Hardware Interfaces) it says "When both SPIFFY2 and peripheral UART interfaces are used by the application, the SPIFFY2 signals and peripheral UART RX signal must be on the lower pad bank (P0 through P7) or on the upper pad bank (P24 through P39). Thus, SPIFFY2 and the peripheral UART RX cannot be on two different pad banks."

We are using SPIFFY2 in our application, and we have SCLK P24, MOSI P4, MISO P25. So we do not have all of our SPIFFY2 pins on the same pad bank. Does this mean we cannot do peripheral UART on the desired pins if we do not want to change the pins we are using for SPIFFY2?

0 Likes
1 Solution
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Yup, your spi2 and puart rx (p2) must be, in this case, in the lower pad bank. No two way about it.

You may like to consider the Group 2 puart muxing options (table 4) instead.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

Yup, your spi2 and puart rx (p2) must be, in this case, in the lower pad bank. No two way about it.

You may like to consider the Group 2 puart muxing options (table 4) instead.

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

If BOTH IOs are used, then the PUART RXD and SPIFFY2 signals need to reside on the same bank.

Lower Bank: P0 through P7

Upper Bank: P24 through P39

It looks like you need to make one change:

SPIFFY2: SCLK P24, MOSI P4, MISO P25

PUART: P32 for TX and P2 (move to P33) for RX

0 Likes