SPI flash vs EEPROM

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm working with the BCM920732TAG_Q32 eval board and I see there are options to boot from SPI flash or i2c EEPROM (which is the way the board is set up).

I wonder if anyone here knows, it is necessary to include either flash or EEPROM in order to run a custom application?

Is there a reason to prefer flash or EEPROM? Cost, speed, number of rewrites supported?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Tim,

1. The current BCM920732TAG configuration supports only EEPROM at this time.
  2. EEPROM is needed for the custom application when using the TAG.  However the BCM20732S is Broadcom's module and contains an integrated EEPROM - Please see BCM20732S Bluetooth Low Energy SiP Module Datasheet

The use of EEPROM vs. FLASH depends on the use cases:

EEPROM vs. FLASH

1. EEPROM occupies more die area than flash memory for the same capacity.
  2. FLASH memory cannot be re-written as often as the EEPROM - Wear Leveling does improve re-writing.
  3. Flash is much more limited in its lifespan than EEPROM - So, if you rewrite often, you will eventually wear out the flash.

The advantage of the BCM20732S is, of course, that we have included the EEPROM in the Broadcom Module.

Let me know if this answers your question.

JT

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Tim,

1. The current BCM920732TAG configuration supports only EEPROM at this time.
  2. EEPROM is needed for the custom application when using the TAG.  However the BCM20732S is Broadcom's module and contains an integrated EEPROM - Please see BCM20732S Bluetooth Low Energy SiP Module Datasheet

The use of EEPROM vs. FLASH depends on the use cases:

EEPROM vs. FLASH

1. EEPROM occupies more die area than flash memory for the same capacity.
  2. FLASH memory cannot be re-written as often as the EEPROM - Wear Leveling does improve re-writing.
  3. Flash is much more limited in its lifespan than EEPROM - So, if you rewrite often, you will eventually wear out the flash.

The advantage of the BCM20732S is, of course, that we have included the EEPROM in the Broadcom Module.

Let me know if this answers your question.

JT