SOC vs. SiP

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We will find two different sets of TRMs or Datasheets, for instance one related to BCM20736S and other to BCM20737.

Please watch the S after "chip name" or without it.

Or please be aware of words such as SOC vs. SiP.

I tried to get familiar with the new BCM20737 eval board, e.g. doc. MMP920737TAG03-HWUM100-R.pdf.

I was a bit confused when read the BCM20736S doc, the pins do not seem to match.

OK, lession learnt:

SOC = System on Chip:

it is the real chip, e.g. BCM20737 - without any S on name

SiP = System in Package:

it is the chip used in another package, a new System in Package created.

Now all with S appended at the name.

And do not use the pin numbering, the pin description mentioned in an 'S' (SiP) documentation: it is a completely new package.

The eval board has the chip only, therefore please use the SOC documentation, without S on name.

BTW:

the naming BCM9xxxxx stands for modules, eval boards.

Just not yet clear for me::

MMP920737TAG03-HWUM100-R.pdf, schematics there, shows me that loudspeaker LS1 is connected to P13/P28 (pin 29 on chip, not SiP).

But datasheet MMP20732-DS100-R.pdf shows me:

ADC Port: P13/P28 (select only one), P14/P38 (select only one)

GPIO Port: P13/P28 (Dual bonded, only one of two is available.), P14/P38 (Dual bonded, only one of two is available.)

and:

PWM: P14/P28 (Dual bonded, only one of two is available.)

P13

I) It does not seem to match (P14/P28 vs. P14/P38) and not the same remark on PWM P13

II) How do I know how is it bonded?
    In order to use the right PWM3 or PWM2 it would be important to know which port is connected (bond version).

Based on schematics: LS1 is on pin 29 P13/P28, therefore it seems to be PWM2, P28 on pin 29.
It lets me assume that pin 30, P14 is bonded as well, usable as ADC input. It goes to TP5 but there is also LED D3 connected (output, not ADC input).

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Because firmware running on the module (2073XS) handles all muxing and abstraction of the physical IO on the internal SOC within the module, it can often become confusing when trying to map IO between the two entities.

Essentially, the module supports 3 PWM channels (4 are supported on the 2073X SOC)

While 4 of these distinct PWMs are mentioned in the 2073XS module datasheets, only 3 can be used at one time.

Note that within the module datasheet excerpt below, both the logical pins (used by the firmware/application) and physical pins are shown.

Note that pwm_tones.c in SDK 2.0.1 provides a nice starting point for PWM usage within an application.

In addition, there are a series of good threads here on the subject which should prove helpful as well: WICED Smart Forums

This thread seems to be an excellent one for PWM usage as the user was able to get everything working correct based on the guidance provided: PWM control in BLE SDK

pwm1.pngpwm2.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply