Platform makefile not found, OSX

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using the Eclipse IDE. I have successfully built, downloaded and run one of the examples (the hello-sensor example).

I followed the directions for copying and pasting a target (the hello_sensor target).

I renamed the target "timme_charger".

I changed the file "hello_sensor.c" to "timme_charger.c".

When I try to build the new target, I get this in the console:

**** Build of configuration Default for project WICED-Smart-SDK ****

/Users/Shared/WICED/SDK/WICED-Smart-SDK-2.0.1/WICED-Smart-SDK/make timme_charger

Makefile:188: *** Platform makefile not found: Platforms//.mk.  Stop.

Any suggestions on how to get the new target to make?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I believe download is an argument which tells the SDK to program the BLE device that's being used for development.

The SDK is designed to work with the Broadcom TAG boards (2) and soon WICED Sense (support will be added in SDK 2.2).  While technically feasible to create platforms inside of our SDK to support other vendors' boards (this is done on the WICED Wi-Fi side), something like this would not be supported here on the forum.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
VikramR_26
Employee
Employee
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 10 comments on KBA

You will have to change the application name to timme_charger, since under apps it will look for the target you are building for.

thnx

vik86

0 Likes

Since you changed  "hello_sensor.c" to "timme_charger.c".

You will also need to change:

/apps/timme_charger (Project name per vik86's post)

and

Rename the Makefile to timme_charger-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As it turns out, I had already named the app

/Apps/timme_charger

But that's not correct. Examining the error message, the make system didn't find the file at the path

/Platforms//.mk

because the "Platform", which I guess is supposed to be part of the name, isn't there. It's not the makefile that must be renamed, but the name of the app, which should be

/Apps/timme_charger-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

The "BCM920737TAG_Q32" in the app name causes the make system to use a makefile at the path

/Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32.mk

When I renamed the app as described above, the make worked.

Now I have a follow-on question. I understand that somehow the make system parses the app "name" to produce a "Platform" that it uses as part of the build process. But what is the "download" for in the app "name"?

I also wonder, if I want to target a board that is not a BCM920737TAG_Q32, with different pin assignments but still using the BCM20737S, should I still use the BCM920737TAG_Q32 "platform", or is there a better recommended way to proceed?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a correction to the previous post:

It's not the makefile that must be renamed (they all have the same name, which is "makefile.mk", even in other example apps), but the target name, which should be

timme_charger-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

The "BCM920737TAG_Q32" in the target name causes the make system to use a makefile at the path

/Platforms/BCM920737TAG_Q32.mk

When I renamed the target as described above, the make worked.

Now I have a follow-on question. I understand that somehow the make system parses the app "name" to produce a "Platform" that it uses as part of the build process. But what is the "download" for in the app "name"?

I also would like to know, if I want to develop for a board that is not a BCM920737TAG_Q32, with different pin assignments but still using the BCM20737S, should I still use the BCM920737TAG_Q32 "platform", or is there a better recommended way to proceed?

0 Likes

I believe download is an argument which tells the SDK to program the BLE device that's being used for development.

The SDK is designed to work with the Broadcom TAG boards (2) and soon WICED Sense (support will be added in SDK 2.2).  While technically feasible to create platforms inside of our SDK to support other vendors' boards (this is done on the WICED Wi-Fi side), something like this would not be supported here on the forum.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the post informative, and I hoped it would solve my problem... However,  I still have the following puzzle:

1. I can build the 'hello_sensor' project, if I select the 'hello_sensor-BMC....' from the 'Make Target' window:
hello_sensor_MakeTarget.tiff.jpg

2. However, I'm failing to build the same project, if I try to build  it from 'Project Explorer'. ( I tried to add different 'targets names', but looks like the environment variables are set differently.... 😞

hello_sensor.tiff.jpg

I would really appreciate comments and suggestions, especially, if I'm doing something obviously wrong.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes

If you look at the following makefile name: hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32 download

hello_sensor = EXACT name of the application in the /apps directory

BCM920736TAG_Q32 = EXACT name of platform file in the /platforms directory

download = download to the target once compiled

When creating a new application, most customers start with a new project by copying an existing one into a new directory, then they copy and paste the corresponding makefile with the new application name.

Example

/apps/hello_sensor

to

/apps/hello_newapp

and makefile  hello_sensor-BCM920736TAG_Q32 download

to

hello_newapp-BCM920736TAG_Q32 download

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Probably, I did not explain properly.... Before building a new project, I'm trying to verify that the SDK installation is correct.

1. So, I picked  the hello_sensor project, went to 'Make Target' window, and managed to build it. Worked as expected.

2. Then I tried to build via 'Project Explorer'.  I'm failing to do so. Also, 'Automatic build' is failing, and most of other Eclipse features -- as find definitions within projects, etc -- is not

working either.
Based on that, I assume that something in SDK installation on my OSX machine is not working right.

So, basically, my question is -- what is the way to make the existing SDK project being build via Eclipse 'Project Explorer route'.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes

Within the SDK, when you want to compile and load, you must do so by double clicking on the make file.

The Eclipse menu items for the same will not work, even in the Windows IDE.

Is this where the confusion lies?

Unfortunately, we do not do the best job of explaining this limitation and a few others have struggled with it in the past.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification.

So, as I understand it now -- 'clicking on the make file' means go to 'Make target' window.

And using the 'traditional' Eclipse menu items -- are not working. ( At this point).

Ok, it is clear now.

Thanks again,

Alex.

0 Likes