Need fast way for Bluetooth piconet of four devices to continue communication when "master" device shuts off

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a piconet of 4 devices, where 1 device is a master
and 3 devices are slave.

Communication continuously occurs between master and the
slaves.

But then the master is shutdown at an arbitrary time.

What's the fastest way for the remaining 3 devices to
continue to communicate?

Does this require the discovery process to repeat, and links
reestablished?  Or is there a faster way
to restore communication?

-Ken

Software Engineer

0 Likes
1 Solution
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

There isn't a "faster" way to restart communication. For the slaves, once the link is disconnected, there should be

a function callback of which it will start to advertise (low-duty) again.  However since the slave has already know

the Master's BD address, it can exert the below:

bleprofile_Discoverable(HIGH_DIRECTED_DISCOVERABLE, slave_remote_addr);

For the master, once it recovers, it can exert scanning:

blecen_Scan(HIGH_SCAN);

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

There isn't a "faster" way to restart communication. For the slaves, once the link is disconnected, there should be

a function callback of which it will start to advertise (low-duty) again.  However since the slave has already know

the Master's BD address, it can exert the below:

bleprofile_Discoverable(HIGH_DIRECTED_DISCOVERABLE, slave_remote_addr);

For the master, once it recovers, it can exert scanning:

blecen_Scan(HIGH_SCAN);

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks btta.  I have a followup question to your original answer "For the slaves, once the link is disconnected, there should be

a function callback of which it will start to advertise (low-duty) again."

Can you give me rough estimate of the time duration of when a piconet of 4 devices stops working (after the master shuts down) and a new piconet of the remaining 3 devices can reform and start communicating again?

Is it likely more than 0.1 second?

Regards, Ken 

0 Likes

In my reply above, I assumed that it's a slave that has been shut down. When the slave wakes again, master can discover and connect to it. However if it is the master breaks down, then the whole piconet breaks down. A new star-network may not be formed unless one of the remaining three takes the initiative to be the new master. Even then, the whole discover_and_pairing cycle has to start again and it is not possible to estimate how fast it can be completed.

0 Likes