Mobile/PC applications for custom GATT database with services, characteristics and descriptors

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am following WICED SMART SDK 2.x: Smart Designer Overview video; Kindly let me know which Mobile or PC application/software to use for custom GATT database developed in the video. I will really appreciate if you let me know simple example for getting started on this.

Looking forward for your kind help. Thanks in advance.

Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,

Ghalib

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The WICED Smart SDK is the tool being used in the video.

The latest version for Windows is here: WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer (Windows)

Note that the Smart Designer has a few shortcomings and is typically used to build a sample GATT DB that is then cut and pasted into your application, which is normally based on one of the sample applications we provide in the SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

The WICED Smart SDK is the tool being used in the video.

The latest version for Windows is here: WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer (Windows)

Note that the Smart Designer has a few shortcomings and is typically used to build a sample GATT DB that is then cut and pasted into your application, which is normally based on one of the sample applications we provide in the SDK.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a million for your reply. I'm using WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.2-IDE-Installer (Windows) , on my window 7 environment. The version you referred is for Mac OSx. Is it compulsory to use the version you referred or my current setting will work fine?

Secondly, I rephrase my question: kindly let me know which application/software is recommended to use to view data for communication over BLE. I mean software like lightblue. available on LightBlue: a cross-platform Python Bluetooth API. Let me know if there is any example available.

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Ghalib

0 Likes

Thanks for pointing out the mistake in my first post, it has since been resolved.

Have you seen the Hello_Client/Hello_Sensor sample apps in the SDK?  These come with Windows Peer Apps.

The WICED Sense Kit ($20 USD) also comes with a program for iOS and Android (source is available on the Community)

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a million for your reply guys. I have been through  Hello_Sensor sample app with BLE Scanner application on android platform and got the idea for sending/receiving data. Now things make more sense to me.

Thanks for help.

Kind Regards,

Ghalib  

0 Likes

There are plenty of applications to help your development with BTLE. The LightBlue is a good one that I used a lot on iPhone.

Usually you want to be able to access the GATT and monitor the characteristic values as well as changing them. With LightBlue you can do it easily.

I would also recommend you to take a look at the Odyssey Mpression kit that we put together here: Odyssey MAX 10 Demo Video - Mpression 

We have an App that you can use to connect to the kit and interact with it.

More information regarding the kit here:Odyssey BLE Sensor Board - Mpression

0 Likes