Is WICED Smart going to support Apple's HomeKit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

I notice WICED wifi is support Homekit, and Homekit could use BLE.

My company want to develop a Homekit accessory base on BLE, any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Yes, at some point WICED Smart will support Apple's HomeKit implementation/protocol.

Work is being done currently on this and details will be released once we have a plan moving forward (note that HomeKit is very memory intensive).

WICED Wi-Fi will support HomeKit within the 3.1 release of the SDK.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
StBa_721356
Level 5
Level 5
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

According to HomeKit there will be HomeKit support for the WICED WiFI platform soon.

Till now it is unclear if there will be HomeKit support for WICED Smart.

Maybe some Broadcom people can bring some light into this?

0 Likes
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

Yes, at some point WICED Smart will support Apple's HomeKit implementation/protocol.

Work is being done currently on this and details will be released once we have a plan moving forward (note that HomeKit is very memory intensive).

WICED Wi-Fi will support HomeKit within the 3.1 release of the SDK.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the info.

do you have a timetable for the WICED Smart HomeKit release?

0 Likes

Unfortunately I do not, but when I learn more I will update the forum.

0 Likes

Per conversations I've seen elsewhere, here's the consolidation from the WiFi point of view.   I do not have insight into the BLE portion of HomeKit.

• WICED Wi-Fi will support HomeKit within the 3.1.0 release of the SDK which is targeted for release this month (August).
  • The ‘HAP’ feature is only available to HomeKit license holders and you must send Broadcom your 6 digit account number before they can release what you need (Refer to: HomeKit).   Not all MFi partners are HomeKit partners.
  • An authentication chip is still required to pass certification and sell HomeKit products.
  • The authentication chip is not required during development. That is, assuming a customer is a HomeKit licensee they can start testing the HomeKit demo as soon as the 3.1.0 SDK is released even though they do not have hardware with an authentication chip on board.