How to run the BCM92073X_LE_KIT from a coin cell?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Board will program correctly via USB but will not run from a coincell even when the SW2 and SW3 are set into the correct positions as per the WICED-Smart-QGS201 guide supplied with SDK2.0.1

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that the BCM92073X_LE_KIT board was supplied with a clear tape over the DIL switch SW4 and the switches are set in the incorrect position.

To operate from coin cell, remove the tape and flick the switches to the right as is (correctly) shown in figure3 in the Quick Start Guide and set SW2 & 3 as advised.

Note for Mike - can we add a comment in the QSG to this effect, or ensure boards are shipped with the switches correctly set?

Regards
Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that the BCM92073X_LE_KIT board was supplied with a clear tape over the DIL switch SW4 and the switches are set in the incorrect position.

To operate from coin cell, remove the tape and flick the switches to the right as is (correctly) shown in figure3 in the Quick Start Guide and set SW2 & 3 as advised.

Note for Mike - can we add a comment in the QSG to this effect, or ensure boards are shipped with the switches correctly set?

Regards
Dave

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

Could you outline the steps required to run an application powered by the coin cell?

What I've tried is:

0. ./make pwm_tones-BCM920737TAG_Q32 download

(...)

Application is running 

(and I can hear the beep heartbeat)

Now I follow the steps in the QS guide:

1. Disconnect the tag from the PC USB interface

(heartbeat stops)

2. Set the position of both switches on the right side of the board to the VCOIN positions, as shown in Figure 3:
the switches should now be set to the opposite positions of that used for programming.

3. Install a CR2032 coin cell in the battery holder on the bottom of the tag: ensure that the battery polarity is
correct.

(heartbeat does not come back.  I tried CPR to no avail)

Did I miss something?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the switch settings on SW4?  These are noted in the Quick Start Guide and are often overlooked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mwf_mmfae,

Ah, yes, setting all dip switches to 'off' did the trick!  The Quick Start guide does not mention that, and the Hardware User Manual for BCM920737TAG-03 says its "optional".

hardware-user-manual-bcm920737TAG.png

Thanks!

Javier

Anonymous
Not applicable

David,

I would rephrase this:

To operate from coin cell, remove the tape and flick the switches to the right as is (correctly) shown in figure3 in the Quick Start Guide...

as:

To operate from coin cell, remove the tape and flick the switches to the OFF position as is (incorrectly) shown in figure3 in the Quick Start Guide...

In other words, for battery operation switches need to be in the opposite position than what figure 3 shows.

figure3.png

Thanks to mwf_mmfae for pointing that out.

Cheers,