How to improve scan performance (more adv report in one second) ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RuCh_2181101
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like received First like given

Dear Master,

Our customer want to improve the scan performance. In his environment, 100 iBeacon available, and we use puart_control to test , and we got the 18~20/s , but other solution can get 37/s.

Do you know how to improve the scan performance ?

Best Regards,

Rush Chen

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, theoretically it is possible to improve the scan performance (i.e. receive more adv packets per second).

However, keep in mind that the overall performance of the device might not necessarily increase if you put too much focus on scan only.

Increasing scanning window will drain the power faster...

Theoretically, if you are scanning all the time (i.e. scan interval = scan window), you could maximize the number of adv received each second.

However, this might decrease other performances of the device.

So it is important to choose the right interval, window for scans.

Do you know what advertisement intervals are?

Knowing this might help you deciding values for scan interval and window.

You can try to come up with your own clever solution where you try to sync the time of adv packets being sent and the time of each scans,

but I'm not sure how you would do that if you have an environment with lots of beacon and you are not just listening to a packet from one device.

Thank you.

James

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

So just to reiterate, is this what you want to do?

Given 100 iBeacon in the environment (assuming they are all advertising at the same rate),

you want to improve the number adv packets received/scanned.?

Also can you elaborate what you mean by other solution can get 37/s?

Thanks.

James

0 Likes

Hi jamesle1

These report are feed backed by customers. The customer want to get all iBeacon information in short time. If we change the scan interval and windows, could it possible to improve it ?

Best Regards,

Rush Chen

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, theoretically it is possible to improve the scan performance (i.e. receive more adv packets per second).

However, keep in mind that the overall performance of the device might not necessarily increase if you put too much focus on scan only.

Increasing scanning window will drain the power faster...

Theoretically, if you are scanning all the time (i.e. scan interval = scan window), you could maximize the number of adv received each second.

However, this might decrease other performances of the device.

So it is important to choose the right interval, window for scans.

Do you know what advertisement intervals are?

Knowing this might help you deciding values for scan interval and window.

You can try to come up with your own clever solution where you try to sync the time of adv packets being sent and the time of each scans,

but I'm not sure how you would do that if you have an environment with lots of beacon and you are not just listening to a packet from one device.

Thank you.

James

Hi jamesle1

The customer's beacon interval is 300ms. and the environment had 100 beacon around.

Could you give me a help to comment the suitable parameters ?

Best Regards,

Rush Chen

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

I have given this some thought,

but I can't seem to come up with anything based on mathematical reasoning.

If I was in your case, I would just do some trial and error to figure out the suitable parameters.

I would use binary search, meaning start with the scan window being half of scan interval,

and increase or decrease the scan window to find the desired performance (scans received, power consumption, etc).

I'm sorry I cannot give you more technical answer than this.

Thank you.

James