FCC approval for BCM20736S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there FCC and/or NCC approval for the BCM20736S devices? If not, is approval expected for this device and in what time frame?

Thanks,

Briana

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

We are currently in the process of transferring the FCC ID and other regulatory certs for the BCM20732S module to the BCM20736/37S modules.  I'm not sure when exactly this work will be complete.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

We are currently in the process of transferring the FCC ID and other regulatory certs for the BCM20732S module to the BCM20736/37S modules.  I'm not sure when exactly this work will be complete.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think it's safe to start the process using the FCC ID from the BCM20732S or will it be totally different?

0 Likes

The two chips are identical other than firmware.  It should be safe.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

0 Likes

I just confirmed with our regulatory team that all 3 models will have the same regulatory model number (BCM20732S), covered under the same FCC and NCC IDs.

0 Likes

Hi ..

is the FCC test done ???

BR Michael

0 Likes

The Regulatory Certifications we support are outlined in the document here: Broadcom BCM20732S/BCM20736S/BCM20737S Regulatory Approvals

Reference this document for the FCC Certification Flow for module products that intend to leverage Broadcom’s FCC ID: FCC Certification Flow for Broadcom module products

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you guys please be more transparent regarding FCC approval of BCM20732S SIPs?

I have spend the last two weeks talking to a dozens of test labs and I am getting wildly different quotes and opinions regarding test requirements. I am getting quotes upwards of $20,000 for FCC test costs. If I wanted to pay this much, why would then go with an SIP rather than a SOC?

One of the reasons we adopted BCM20732S SIP was that we did not want to expensive transmitter and spurious emission tests, since the antenna is not touched.

0 Likes

Since I am not an expert on Global Regulatory policy/process, I am looking for somone internally that can provide some guidance on the lower cost route we have advocated.

I know for FCC specifically, many customers have followed the path documented here with relative success:

FCC Certification Flow for Broadcom module products

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been through the FCC and IC certification process for the BCM20737S, so if you have some questions regarding this, I'll be happy to chime in.  The BCM20737S (and related parts) have what is considered a partial modular certification -- it lacks full modular certification only because there is no RF shield over the RF components (since everything is molded in with the antenna.  The only test required is spurious emissions on the final host (vs. full modular, which would not require this test).  Broadcom will then grant you permission to use the rest of their testing, which the RF house simply points to in their report.  Most of the cost was actually generation of the reports to send to the FCC and Industry Canada and the filing fee (quite expensive for IC, relatively cheap for FCC).  It came to about $3k per cert when done in a California testing lab.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That said, I'm not an expert in this, just sharing my experience and knowledge I gained going through the process.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It cost me around $7K to do FCC ad IC. The test lab forced me to file for PCII (permissive change class ii). Did you have to file for PCII as well?

0 Likes