Exposing Application Button in WICED Sense Smart Tag

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Per this thread: Application Button in WICED Sense Smart Tag

Has anyone made any progress towards exposing the button status to connected applications?

Thanks.

Pete

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JacobT_81
Employee
Employee
250 replies posted 100 replies posted 50 replies posted

Just typed this app up really quickly. I'm not familiar with the app you're using to connect to the WICED boards, so I can't guarantee anything on that end.

This app has a single user defined service that does nothing but toggle 1/0 on the click of the button. I didn't have time to implement debouncing so the values are very shaky and unsyncronized. But it should be a good starting point for you.

This app was tested with LightBlue.

Jacob

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
BoonT_56
Employee
Employee
500 likes received 250 likes received 100 likes received

I read somewhere that there is going to be a new SENSE kit real soon. It will incorporate some of these changes. Stay tuned.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Pete

0 Likes
JacobT_81
Employee
Employee

Hi pbarrie,

How far have you gotten in trying to send the button status? I'll try to guide you through it once I know where in the process you are.

Also, how will you be receiving the button status? LightBlue?

Jacob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I've got Cordova code on Android working as per: Build your own wearable with IBM IoT Foundation and IBM Bluemix talking to Bluemix IoT. I was hoping that the "app button" (as it is described in the WICKED Sense overview doc) was going to be exposed through Bluetooth services. This is not the case and I was wondering if anybody had managed to create updated firmware to make this happen.

JacobT_81
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately there's no current firmware that has that already implemented into the wiced_sense app. Are you seeking to incorporate this into the pre-existing app? Or do you simply want app that does nothing but expose the button state?

Jacob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could go for either solution.

Thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JacobT_81
Employee
Employee

Just typed this app up really quickly. I'm not familiar with the app you're using to connect to the WICED boards, so I can't guarantee anything on that end.

This app has a single user defined service that does nothing but toggle 1/0 on the click of the button. I didn't have time to implement debouncing so the values are very shaky and unsyncronized. But it should be a good starting point for you.

This app was tested with LightBlue.

Jacob

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jacob, many thanks for this and the time taken - much appreciated! Which Broadcom development environment is used to build this? Since I'm using the packaged WICED Sense tag is there any other information that is required in order to re-flash the unit?

Pete

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello pbarrie,

Have you downloaded the SDK from here: WICED-Smart-SDK-2.2.1-IDE-Installer (Windows)

Thanks

JT

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JT. Just checking that this is OK for the packaged WICED Sense Smart Sensor Tag version since the info on that page says:

"Note: SDK 2.2.1 requires the WICED SMART BCM92073X_LE_KIT small form factor development board and cannot be used with older BCM920732_LE_KIT development boards."

0 Likes

That note references the chip and firmware combination on the TAG3 board, which is identical to WICED Sense. There is an entire WICED Sense application within the SDK previously referenced.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks all. Will look at this soon.

Pete

0 Likes