Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

Smart Bluetooth Forum Discussions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to ask if the SDK provides API so I can encrypt data for transmission.  I know that if the two nodes in the connection mode, I can use standard BLE encryption.  However, I want to ask if there is an encryption API that I can use to encrypt messages in the advertising packets?   Thank you.

1 Solution
MichaelF_56
Moderator 250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

On the BCM20737S, the RSA library is implemented in firmware and is a direct port of the Polar SSL library (version 1.7)

The extra RAM needed for RSA is only allocated by apps that require the RSA library.

We essentially provide a path for authentication and other security mechanisms that rely on the capability to run standard security functions (SHA1, MD5 etc.) . For instance, you may need to authenticate a user before opening/unlocking a BLE based device or authenticate a secure medical device before granting it access to an iPhone.

Additional power is only consumed during encrypt/decrypt and authentication.

Here's some additional threads on the subject:

How to operate RSA in BCM20737S & BCM20737S document

Update on RSA and/or app note for BCM20737?

BCM20736S and RSA

RSA Document

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MichaelF_56

On the BCM20737S, the RSA library is implemented in firmware and is a direct port of the Polar SSL library (version 1.7)

The extra RAM needed for RSA is only allocated by apps that require the RSA library.

We essentially provide a path for authentication and other security mechanisms that rely on the capability to run standard security functions (SHA1, MD5 etc.) . For instance, you may need to authenticate a user before opening/unlocking a BLE based device or authenticate a secure medical device before granting it access to an iPhone.

Additional power is only consumed during encrypt/decrypt and authentication.

Here's some additional threads on the subject:

How to operate RSA in BCM20737S & BCM20737S document

Update on RSA and/or app note for BCM20737?

BCM20736S and RSA

RSA Document

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying.  Do you have functions for symmetric-key encryptions such as AES or others?

0 Likes
MichaelF_56

I'm pretty sure the answer is no as what we have leverages the Polar SSL library and is located under the /WICED-Smart-SDK/Wiced-Smart/bleapp/utils directory.

0 Likes