Downloading problems with BCM20736S

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I want to program my custom board with a BCM20736S-Controller on it. But everytime I want to download the program I get either the error:

Download failed - Press the reset button on the device and retry

when I add to the make target of the hello_sensor program: BT_DEVICE_ADDRESS=20736S100331 PLATFORM_NV=SFLASH UART=15

or the error:

Download failed. This version of the SDK only supports download to BCM20736A1 and BCM20737A1 devices

when I make no changes in the make target.

I searched in the forum and found some tricks to fix this problem like adding

JOBS=1

VERBOSE=1

to the makefile, but these changes had no effect. What else can I do to fix the problem? Or have I missed something?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to have access to the SDA pin to do recovery.

You will need to modify your design. Floating SDA is not the way to go.

It has been recommended that SDA be connected to ground instead of vcc when powering on for Recovery - safer for the chip.

I have found the recovery to be more sensitive to variations in the USB cable.  Some of the cables we built cannot perform recovery successfully.

Keep the cable short, I have not been able to recover with a cable longer than about 9 inches.  Keep any solder connections "nice".  Do NOT use a breadboard for this.  I was not able to recover until I ditched the breadboard and made a short straight cable from the USB to the module.

Steps:

1. power off board (e.g. disconnect USB cable from PC)

2. connect SDA to ground

3. Power up board while SDA is grounded

4. Wait a couple or three second

5. Disconnect SDA from ground

6. Double click the Recover target in the SDA.

This works for me.  We use a FTDI USB to RS-232 3.3 volt cable.  It has LED's in the USB connector and you can see them flicker when the download/recovery is in progress.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
32 Replies