Device UUID

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GaDe_1181136
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Can anybody tell me more about Device UUIDs? This may also refer to Project, Application or Peripheral UUID. I know it's there because It comes up at the top before the Device Name in Light Blue. I can't find anything in Wiced Smart SDK about how to set it and whether or not it should vary from device to device. Currently, I'm initialising units by running Anaren Programmer first, and I think this is setting it. I then use Wiced Smart SDK to program my application, and also use it to set unique BT Mac address, but I can't see anything that affects this devce UUID.

1 Solution
ChristopherA_76
Employee
Employee
5 likes given First like received First like given

Hello Gary,

The relevant section of the BT specification you should check is Service Discovery Protocol for an explanation on how UUIDs are used and defined in Bluetooth. They are used to describe particular services and their characteristics - in very basic terms think about it a little bit like port numbers on a PC network, with which you might be more familiar.

UUIDs are 128 bit numbers used to look up attributes but they can be shortened to 32 or 16 bit forms.

Services defined by the Bluetooth standards have UUIDs assigned to them, but you can add your own.

For example, if you want to define a new service, you can allocate your own UUID to represent it. There is a mechanism to minimise the chance of a clash of UUIDs. You can generate a random number for now if you're just testing - you should check the BT standards how to build the correct UUID for an existing service.

Gregg

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies