Black Magic Probe or OpenOCD?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings,

Has anyone tried using the Black Magic Probe or some sort of OpenOCD compatible device?  I'm looking at alternatives to JLINK.

thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm not aware of anyone internally that has tried these tools, but maybe another user can comment.

We support WICED Smart J-Link Debugger and ARM RealView RVDS (replaced by DSTREAM/DS5).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
MichaelF_56
250 sign-ins 25 comments on blog 10 comments on blog

I'm not aware of anyone internally that has tried these tools, but maybe another user can comment.

We support WICED Smart J-Link Debugger and ARM RealView RVDS (replaced by DSTREAM/DS5).

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just tried OpenOCD with Amontec (or Signalyzer) JTAG adapter, on another chip (Cortex A9).
It was working pretty nice.
I like OpenOCD, it has also helpful TCL and low-level JTAG features, e.g. also playing SVF files, playing with scan chain. DS5 and DStream hide too much: if JTAG issues - you are lost and the error messages there are not helpful. And creating a debug database for Eclipse is needed and a bit tricky.

I would think OpenOCD should work on a Cortex-M3 with one of the adapters supported by it (quite a lot on its list, e.g. Amontek, Signalyzer or a self-made JTAG dongle as well).

And if IDE supports GDB then it should work to integrate into IDE (otherwise debugging on GDB command line might be acceptable. I did sometimes, mainly e.g. for loading and launching new code images to target).

(sorry, no time left to give it a try and WICED Sense does not have a JTAG/SWD header/solder pads (?))

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks, I use OpenOCD on other arm projects, just looking for anyone with hands-on experience with alternatives to j-link.

0 Likes