BCM20737S input capacitors and placement

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

what are the recommended power input capacitors for the BCM20737S module? In the WICED Smart reference design, I can see that there are 10uF and 100nF capacitors used, is this combination recommended?

Also, in the gerber data I can see that three components are placed directly underneith the BCM module, one zero ohms resistor (R9) and presumably two 100nF input capacitors. Is this close placement to the power input necessary? As I am aiming towards single-sided assembly, I would appreciate if I could place all the components on the top side, outside of the keepout area. Can you guys advise me to do or not to do so?

Thank you very much,

Cheers

Janos

0 Likes
1 Solution

For chip-on-board designs, those 0.1uF decoupling caps are essential for a clean power supply. And on top of that, we always recommend that these caps be placed near to the pins so as to ensure its effectiveness. You may refer to the below guide. I noted that you have mentioned the use of the SIP module, then a 4.7uF shunt will do.

iBeacon BCM20737 SOC Walkthrough Schematic Design Guidelines

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies